Do you expect your kids to follow the same beliefs as you do?

is that a reasonable expectation?
or is that unfair to them and not letting them have to freedom to choose for themselves?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up being expected to follow suit. Im also paying the price for that so I would never do that to my children.

They can ask any question and get their answers from us or books/internet/etc. when they come up and they can choose their path. All I ask of them is to respect mine and to not pick a path based on friend or girlfriend type pressures.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Expect? No. Hope? Yes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is a choice for you so it should also be a choice for your children. If you force it on them, they will most likely turn away from you and your religion.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nope, He can grow up to believe in whatever he wants to believe in. Which is why we haven't taken him to church or Have we talked to him about Wicca.

My husband & I both agreed that when he was old enough to start understanding he would pick what he believed in, either its being a Christian, or A Wiccan or Jewish. Its all about what he wants....

Now if I could only get my in laws to understand that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I expect my children to do what is right for them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I was raised in a spiritual household. My parents had a "this is what we believe, but you are free to form your own opinions" attitude. When my sister and I were curious about Wicca as young adults (yes, out of high school), they freely let us attend classes at one of the shops. They pretty much gave us our freedom. I have since decided that I'm more Agnostic than anything else. My husband is too. I'm a bit more spiritual than he is, but it doesn't bother him. We will raise our children in the same manner that I was raised, and give them the freedom to form their own beliefs. Of course, when questions arise, we'll answer them as fairly and unbiased as possible.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't expect my child to believe the same as I do, no. But I DO expect him to make informed decisions, so I plan on educating him to the best of my ability on all of his options so that he will be best able to choose for himself.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I expect them to explore their own ideas and decide for themselves what beliefs they hold. I support whatever road they take.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I grew up in a house where there was no other choice really, in fact until my mid teens I never really knew anyone even believed anything else.

I encourage my kids to learn about all kinds of different beliefs. I used to read them stories from mythology books when they were little and we have talked about all kinds of different beliefs together. My daughter has a big interest in learning about it and my son...not as much. I just want them to find what feels right to them and always keep learning :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nope. I expect my children to discover their own paths... IF my path is the path that fits them, great, but if not, that's perfectly fine too.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010