Traveling with a year old?

In April, my SIL's wedding is in VA. I am excited to go but also kinda nervous because I've never traveled far with my baby. (we live in FL) My husband is open to flying or driving? Which do you think will be easier with the baby (He'll be just under 12 months when we go) ? For some reason flying with a baby terrifies me!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Travel

• ok sounds wierd but i also live in florica and DH was stationed in VA so I am sure I can help you with this. we did it both ways and IMO it was better to drive. waiting at the airport was terrible he wanted to get on the floor ( he was walking already). then the tantrums because he wanted down were crazy. then on the plane the flight was right at 2 hrs. 2 hrs i know you think isnt that bad buuuuuuut. when you have a 1 yr old who wants down or wants to play or starts screaming and there is no room for them to play and they squirm it really is the worst 2 hrs of your life. when e drove though, the drive for us was exactly 15 hrs. sounds like alot but its not we drove at night so that he was asleep most of the time. in the morning when he woke up we stopped and had breakfast, let him run around for a bit at the rest stop and got back in and finished the drive. he had a sippy cup and a snack, i sat by him and we played and sang.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would try and drive it when the baby is going to sleeep it will be a lot easier for all if you can drive at night. That's what we would do or get up extremely early so the baby will go back to sleep and drive we used to go from Nebraska to Wisconsin like this it is 12 hours to drive that and we would do either of these
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I am not a flying and worry about their ears. Train would be fun!
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 8:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I have been on both sides of this one..car and plane. I found that it was easiest to leave at night around your child's bed time frame and drive. That was one of the easiest trips ever.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• he did great. also comparing prices we had to but plane tickets for me and 2 kids plus my son on my lap and the tickets cost us right at $1000. when we drove we spent for a oil change, gas and food both ways right at $500. good luck with your decision and have fun in VA.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Ok thanks so much! Thats what I was kinda thinking...that way we could kind of go at our own pace :) And so far my almost 6 month old is SOO ACTIVE. So I'm thinking when he's a year we may end up having to strap him down or something waiting for the plane haha!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I agree with all these mommas (driving long distance many times with my son between the age of 4 months and today) at this age it is actually easy because they will sleep most the time. When your child wakes stop for a change, time to play, and eat. Taking a couple toys to keep your son busy in the car when he awakes also helps.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010