Santa Claus is coming to town?

So, my husband and I are believers and we've been debating about doing Santa Claus with our son. We've both done Santa Claus as children and loved it! However we are concerned with trying to tell him Santa is real and that Jesus is real only to come back later and tell him that Santa isn't but Jesus is. We weren't raised in a believer home so we aren't sure exactly how to approach it!

For those who did it either way, can I have some feedback on how it affected your children/or you with either decision you made? Not trying to condemn anyone's decision, we were just looking for some examples on what you thought worked and what didn't!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 7:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised to believe in God. My grandma had a mini nativity scene set up that I loved to sit and play with every Christmas and I was told the story behind it. Anyway, when I found out that no man in a red suit came to deliver presents it never even occurred to me to question my belief in God. They're not connected in anyway as far as I can tell.
    I would let him believe in Santa personally. Perhaps tell him the story of St Nicholas, who was a real man, and how he has inspired people to do as he did and help others out at this special time of year. Each year, even now while he is young, have him help you choose a toy or two for a toy drive or donate to a food pantry so that he can see those principles in action.
    Also one thing that I think my mom did right was to tell me that the people who do what I just described and give of themselves in any way for the holidays make Santa real. He does exist :)
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We do Santa, but not the religious part. Its harmless fun and it goes by so fast. Just enjoy this little part of their childhood. Its one of the few great memories you'll keep forever and miss terribly once they outgrow it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Actually, Santa Claus was as real as Jesus. His name was Nicholas (later to become St. Nicholas).
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We do Sanatabut to us it has nothing to do with the religious part. When the time came for my older kids they never ever questioned why we lied to them they just knew they had gotten presents. I have asked my daughter who is 33 if it ever effected her and she said no it was all just part of life and how you play the game it was fun. While I believe I never ever confused the 2 together
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids didn't have a problem differentiating between the two. Jesus is a deep belief we hold and Santa Clause is a fun family tradition. My kids are old enough to know about Santa, but it doesn't diminish their belief in Jesus because Santa was all about fun on Christmas morning, Jesus is something we talk about year round, he isn't seasonal and are conversations about Jesus are deeper then finding presents around the house. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If you believe in jesus then i think you can explain santa the same way you can Jesus. People die..they don't live forever. Yes, santa was real at one point in time and we just like to remember him by carrying on what he did for the children in his town..thats what i told my son when he asked me recently. My son still speaks of santa as if he was a real person and still says "when santa comes"..knowing that its me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• ...as if santa was real to him..is what i meant.. yes i know the story of santa is true..thats why i told my son what i did
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Why not tell him when he gets older that Santa Claus is the spirit of giving. So even though he is not a real person, he symbolizes giving to others and happiness when you do good things. Then, tell him the story of how Santa Claus came to be by telling him of Saint Nicholas and his generosity. So, in reality, even though it is not a person of today the story has come to be because of a person in our history. So you shouldn't have much of a problem with him questioning Jesus.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We never put the emphasize on Santa being "real", just like we don't with Tinkerbell or Curious George. My young daughter loves reading stories, and Santa is a great one at Christmastime. When she is old enough to ask questions about his reality, we're not going to lie about it. We'll cover the history of the story and let her decide for herself.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I grew up with Santa and loved it; however my husband and I have decided not to introduce Santa as "Real". We plan to teach her the spirit of Santa, what it bring, why we like to have the belief in something magical but I do not want her to come home one day and realize he was never real and we lead her to believe he was. I remember my disappointment when I found out he wasn't real and the truth is better than a lie and you can make the truth just as magical as the lie.
    Keely625

Answer by Keely625 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2010