What age, do you feel, is 'normal' to start having sex?

I saw a post yesterday where a lot of women were saying that it is normal to have sex at 15 while a lot more were refuting that and saying it's not normal. In your opinion, when is it 'normal' to lose your virginity(not when you did but when you think is most people do or should)?

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 7:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• i would agree with most that over 20 is a good age but i think the normal is around 16/17 or senior year of high school .........i was 21 and engaged to my now ex husband at the time......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• After the wedding, whatever age that happens.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• When you get married is the right time but I know lots of kids do it at around 15 there is no maturity involved at that age to know even what they are doing.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I can't really say what is "normal" because these days kids seem to be having sex at ridiculous ages! Makes me sound old. I am only 24. When I was 14-17 I never really thought about sex or had the desire to run out and have it. I had school, sports, and also a part time job to pay for my car my parents bought me and that was enough for me... I met my husband when we were both 18 and we dated for about 8 months before having sex. Some would say this is still too soon or too young, but it could have been much worse..and obviously I made the right decision on that one since we are married today =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't think there is a "normal" age, I would hope that they would wait until they were married or in a committed long term relationship. But I realize that that is unrealistic for a lot of kids. I was 15, do I wish I would have waited, yes. I was not mature enough at all to handle the emotions that come from the first sexual experience. I think now, what would I have done if I would've gotten pregnant, b/c I was immature and he was a loser.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Oh yes, that post had me going lol. I personally think 15 is way too young for that responsibility. At that age you have no idea what sex is all about. I would prefer my DS wait until he's married, but if not then I think he should be in a long term, committed relationship. Usually, those happen around 18 or so? Theres a big difference in maturity at 18 verses 15. Ultimately, we have no say :( But, I will do my best to guide him in the right direction and try to keep him from making a mistake that he cannot take back at such a young age.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's certainly not "abnormal" to have sex at 15. Maybe the question should be whether or not it's healthy, whether or not a 15-year-old is ready for sex. We all know that 15-year-olds are capable of having sex, but I doubt they're really ready.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Is there really a normal age? Do I think waiting until marriage is great? Yes. Did I wait? No. Do I think that was wrong? No.
    Now I think that a person should be mature before making such a commitment as sex but of course some people never reach a mature level and that will never happen. Do I think I was ready for sex. No, I really don't. I was 15, and pressed not only by the guy to just do it but my friends were pushing me to also. Sex has become something the "cool" people do, which is dumb but true. People try to convince others it is not a big deal and to just do it but of course it really is a big deal. At this point, kids are starting to do sexual things at the age of 12 and in some cases younger. I think all we can do anymore is just try to protect and educate our children and try and have our next generation stay protected and make wiser decisions.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I was 21 and about to be married to him :) Many of my friends waited as well until they were out of college and engaged or else married (one waited until her wedding night, as did her husband, and they didn't marry until they were 27). I did have a couple friends lose it at 15 or while still in high school.
    I think that a lot of people are 16-17 their first time. I personally hope my daughter will wait like I did but I don't live in a bubble and I know that is unlikely.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I asked my hubs who said 'Well it's not 'abnormal' to do it at 15.' Kind of funny since he regrets loosing his at that age LOL
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2010