I am a mom of 2. One is 2 years old and the other is 2 months old. Lately I have not been feeling like I dont want to do anything with them, and it bugs me. I dont know why, but I was wondering if anyone else out there had ever felt like this and if they have if anyone has any advice for me, and if anyone thinks I should go see a doctor.? I feel terrible and I feel like a bad mom. Please someone help me I am stuck

mom_of_three392

Asked by mom_of_three392 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• You're not a bad mom. What else have you been feeling? Very tired? don't want to do anything at all? You could be suffering from post partum depression. I would go to the doctor with your worries. PPD can last for a few years, actually, so maybe getting some meds to help would be worth it for you. Good luck!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 2:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It is possible that you have PPD or just that your hormones are still adjusting. It takes a full year for your body and hormones to go back to normal after having a baby. Plus if your 2 month old isn't sleeping through the night or just started chances are you are sleep deprived. It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor. But I also suggest seeing if you can get a little help maybe a family member of someone close watch the kids even if it is just for a few hours, so you can get "you"time even if it is just to rest. I wouldn't consider you a bad mom, just wore out.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 3:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• You are not a bad mom, but I can understand completely why you feel that way. I have had times like this before also. Some days I just don't want to play, and I feel horrible for it. I just remind myself that she won't want to play with me soon, and that usually gets me down on the floor being silly. I would also suggest talking to your doctor. It won't hurt to make sure that there isn't something else wrong, other than just being wore out. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My first question is what are you doing for YOU? I've noticed that I get feeling just as you described when I'm so busy taking care of everyone around me that I don't take care of myself. I start to feel resentful and depressed. Sometimes just being able to take 30 minutes and have a bubble bath without interruptions can make a big difference. Do some things for YOU and try not to feel guilty about it. If you have a supportive SO maybe you can work something out with them to allow you time for yourself. If you can't seem to shake the blues there's nothing wrong with seeing a doctor or therapist. it's like when you're on an airplane and the flight attendant is going over the emergency procedures. They will tell you that if you are traveling with a small child to put the oxygen mask on yourself before attempting to help the child. You can't be the best possible parent if you are stressed out and not taking care of yourself.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sounds like you are in serious need of some fun. Get up a little earlier than the kids and indulge in something for yourself. Find a playgroup that has like-minded, but not energy-sucking, moms and kids and have some playdates. We all need a break from ruts. I go in a zillion directions, and when I get worn down, I stop. that's what I am up to today ;0). Just taking the much needed break I deserve. the world can wait, and everyone will be better off when I am meeting my own needs. Try it. You deserve it--you good mom you!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 3:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008