22 month old not eating so well any more

My 22 month old used to eat everything in sight! he ate so well and the past 6 months, maybe a little longer, he has gotten more and more picky and now he falt out refuses almost everything unless its fuirt or sweet. well maybe not that bad, but he would rather eat a hot dog or yourgt then anything else. i feel like he has gotten skinnier to... i m just worried

I need to find ways to get him to eat.... nothing has helped! help me

xotatiannaxo

Asked by xotatiannaxo at 8:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know my dd is 19 and she was the same way she use to eat everything and just make a face but now she only eat things she has know she likes. i guess this toddler stage is when they start knowing their likes and dislikes. there are alot of fun toddler recipes you can try that. but other then that i am at a lost too. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Both of my kids did this. My daughter started it at about the same age yours did, and my son (who is 18 months) just started it as well! Drives me nuts. I stick to healthy snacks during the day and they kids are served exactly what everyone else is served at meal times. My sister in law made the mistake of letting her son have WHATEVER he asked for when it came to meals and now he is 8 years old and to this day there are only maybe 4 things he will eat..so she cooks dinner for the rest of the family..and then for her son! That was motivation for me to stay strict with the meals!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son was an awesome eater when he as a baby and for a little while as a toddler, but he is VERY picky now. They say it's a normal stage for them to go through. Most kids won't let themselves starve, but if he's losing weight you might want to talk to your doctor. If he'll eat avocados, I found those helped since they're full of healthy fats. If he likes yogurt, put some pureed fruit or veggies in it---my son doesn't seem to mind ones without really strong favors, like a few tablespoons of green bean puree. Sweet potato, carrot, or squash puree usually goes well with vanilla yogurt too. My son also loves bread, so I sneak veggies into breads, muffins, or pancakes. A good multi vitamin with iron also helps when they are having really picky days. We use Poly Vi Sol with iron--I put one dropper in some watered down juice to make sure he gets enough iron each day since he was slightly anemic a couple months ago.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• First let me tell you this is usually something normal so don't worry to much, My kids all went through something like this where they only wanted to eat a few things. We did a couple things, first don't force him to eat at this age. It starts to become a control thing and he is learning that he can control things in this world, if you force him he might fight you even more. Make sure he is drinking and eating and not totally stopping everything. We would put out a trying plate when the kids were little, we would put different foods on it that we were eating and let them try it. We would come up with funny names for things, like dinosaur meat instead of steak. As they got older we had the rule, you have to try everything one your plate, even if it was just one bite.

I think kids go through phases. Lastly, try hidding foods in other foods, I mkae smoothies a lot so my kids get the protein they need.
    Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think that it is pretty normal. My 2 y/o hardly eats anything. I have been asking to dr. about it for months and they just keep telling me that he is fine. Kids do this and that he will eat when he is hungary. I have started giving him pedisure instead of milk once a day. And vitamins are good to supplyment what he isn't getting out of his food! Good luck!
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 10:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2010