Swollen lip and eye; what can it mean?

My husband's upper lip is swollen, has been since yesterday morning, and this morning he woke up with a swollen eye, too. Both times were after sleeping, before he'd eaten anything, and he says his lip is a bit sore. It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction to me, but I'm not sure what it could be. His upper front tooth has been hurting, so I thought the lip might be something to do with that, but now with his eye... That sounds like it could be sinuses, which he says makes his tooth/teeth hurt sometimes. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any idea what it could be?

P.S. I'm trying to get him to go to the doctor, but it's not working. Maybe if I have some ideas of what it might be, I can get him to go get it fixed. :-\

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 8:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Health

• An infected tooth can swell your face up. He probably needs an antibiotic and tht tooth taken care of.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I've had sinus issues that have affected my teeth. Also had an upper respiratory infection that did the same thing. I'm thinking it could be a sinus infection caused by an allergen in the air. Have you tried giving him some Benadryl? I'd use Benadryl (generic brand works as well) and ibuprofin. Benadryl is an antihistamine and ibuprofin is an anti-inflamatory. I have a mold allergy, which is NOT a good thing here in TX. LOL. And, this is what my doctor has me do with flare-ups.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I did tell him to try Benadryl, but I don't think he took any until he went to bed last night, so no telling if it worked, since we went to sleep and it had worn off by the time we got up. Not sure if he's taken any today or not (he went back to bed), so I'll go see and offer him some ibuprofen, as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you think Sudafed might help at all?
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yeah, mistynights, I've been telling him he needs to go to the dentist for ages; regardless of whether that's the cause of this, it needs to be taken care of. But getting him to do anything like that is next to impossible. It's so much easier when it's our kids and we can make them go.

Any ideas what can happen if he doesn't get it taken care of? Maybe I can scare him into it...
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well besides pain, It can cause heart problems with the infection running through his blood, MY sister had a friend that had a bad sinus infection that he let go, and it moved to his brain, infections if that what it is are no good and need to be treated, tell him they wont even touch it if its a tooth infected, they,ll just give him meds to take care of it first, did he get bit by anything?
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No, he hasn't been bitten. I'll pass that information on to him, thanks.
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• An infected tooth can swell up the face. He needs to get that taken care of ASAP. The infection in a tooth can go to the heart and the brain and cause extreme damage and even death.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2010