im pregnant my house has fleas bad can my husband spray them with me in the house

im 38 weeks we no longer have pets and the infestation is only on one side of the house with doors that close off the other side we are stationed over seas so staying with family is out im just so scared of causeing the baby problems any ideas THANKS

landonsMOMMY500

Asked by landonsMOMMY500 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I honestly don't know, but I would say your best bet would be to leave the house for as long as possible-maybe do some shopping, catch a movie or get something to eat
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would suggest getting out for some window shopping or a movie or something while your hubby sprays. That way you arent actually INSIDE the house while he's doing it and hopefully it will have aired out quite a bit by the time you get back home. I understand not really having anyone to stay with so i'd atleast try and do that. If it's on the other house like you say, then it should be fine.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We went to our vet, They told us about there flea spray called hot shot, yet they were out, so i called another vet , They let me buy it from them even though my dog was not there patient, You don't even have to leave and u just spray the base boards around your floors it works really nice, Now i did leave cause i m pregnant too, just wanted to be safe, All i did was go to the store and came home, we also give our dog a monthly flea pill, yet she still got fleas a week early, the fleas r bad this year
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'd at least go out for a couple hours, so vapors have settled before you get home. I'd also avoid the part of the house where the spraying was for 24 hours, if possible. And have your husband do the post bombing/spraying vacuuming in the flea-bombed area. Also have him remove and throw out the vacuum bag. I don't want you to be paranoid, just cautious. Neurotoxins aren't going to be GOOD for you, even if they're probably in too-small amounts to be definitely bad for you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I got a pill from the vet called Comfortis. This killed every flea in the house because they all tried to get on my dogs. I just dusted lightly in the areas they laid down the most and vacuumed. No spraying or anything (after trying that for 2 months!).
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 9:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• so glad to see you guys have the same problem, iv had my dog 2years and she never had fleas, til this year. i keep given her a flea bath a week and spray flea stuff on her and use a flea and tick comb to get rid of the fleas. i have washed everything in hot soapy water but they still return the next day. im about to go nuts and im also 33weeks pregnant. why r the fleas so bad this year?
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No, and if it is a bad infestation it will be a better deal in the long run to just call Orkin (or your preferred bug man) to fog the house or whatever treatment they recommend. Fleas are hard to get rid of and if you just buy some OTC stuff it probably won't trully kill all the eggs and they will just come back and then you have to treat the house and the pets again. After the treatment if you have carpet you will want to vacuum a lot (unless the Orkin man says different, idk, I haven't had the prob myself, I am a vet tech tho so have heard). If you dont get all your animals taken care of the prob will be recurring. I like a dose of Capstar (Rx only) and then using the once monthly treatment from your vet (or after you get the Rx - specify you will need Rx for it) go to 800petmes etc. Also you should really have them tested for heartworms and then keep them on a monthly preventative, also RX only.
    45caliber

Answer by 45caliber at 10:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My neighbors came over one night with their little dogs while I was in bed and hubby was hanging out with them, suddenly we had fleas the next day. I was furious, especially cuz the dumb neighbors claimed their dogs got them from my house(we don't have pets and neither did we ever see a single flea until their damn dogs came over). We went to walmart and bought a 3-pk of foggers. You have to have one for every room in the house and it takes about 4hrs(maybe 6?). You set them off and go find something to do, see a movie etc. It got rid of the damn things. When you come back you open the windows and let it air out for another little bit then vacuum. Found one or two the first day or so then all gone.
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I dont know if you can use one of those flea bombs, but you have to leave the house for a certain amount of hours then ventilate the house by opening doors and windows before you stay in the house. The other thing you may want to do is vacuum the house and the furniture make sure that as soon as you are done throw away the bag and if its a bagless vacuum then empty it in a trash can outside. Keep doing this daily and wash all your bedding and iron all the mattresses.
    luvmydoggies

Answer by luvmydoggies at 10:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2010