has anyone been denied an epidural due to low blood platelets how low were they

im 38 weeks my platelet were down to 88 then they shot up to 106 this past week i just found out about this condition a month ago and was depending on an epidural seeing as this is my first baby but im preparing for the worst im preety scared but excited it would be great to hear from someone who has any knowledge on this subject :)) THANKS

landonsMOMMY500

Asked by landonsMOMMY500 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• YES! with my daughter, i only got a low grade pain killer instead which they had to stop giving me for some odd reason! I freaked out completely had to push my daughter basically all natural!!! And if i would have known I would have made them fix the perscription for steriods that couldnt be filled because of a screw up on my docs end!!! I was FURIOUS!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Oh btw, I have had low plateletts for years, but no real bleeding problem. So i never really got it checked out. I do bruise REALLY easily and they last f or WEEKS! but no one explained to me that an epidural wouldnt be possible until I was 6 CM dialated and in serious pain. I cried for about an hour!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's good never to put all your eggs in the epidural basket anyway. It doesn't work about 15% of the time. It either completely doesn't work, leaves one side with sensation, leaves a window (where it only hurts in one spot) or has to be removed for some other reason.

Women were designed to birth babies without pain medication. If you are calm and confident and relaxed it's not horrible. I've had two babies, one in the hospital on a pitocin drip (which is the most painful way to have a baby for some women, certainly for me), stuck in bed. Ouch. But we made it through without pain medication. My second was born at home, also without pain medication and that birth was EASY.

Don't be afraid. Look at your options and GET YOURSELF A DOULA ASAP. It's important to have knowledgable support and a doula can be a godsend. You can find them for free if you need to :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Not me, but birth clients.
    Since you have access to many other coping strategies, it's good to work on your awareness of them.
    Consider having a birth doula help you.
    We women have been giving birth without drugs for most of Time.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010