Which one is it?

A shirt or a blouse? What's the difference?

Whatever the type (nice, casual, etc.) or material (cotton, rayon, etc.), it will always be a shirt or nice shirt (what one would wear to work, church, something kinda formal, etc.).

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I think of a blouse a little more dressy where a button down shirt can be dressy or casual. Usually men wear shirts and women wear blouses, but with so many women wearing mens shirts these days it is sometimes hard to tell. I have seen blouses made out of just about every material. Most people wouldn't wear a blouse to do yard work.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 4:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• A blouse is usually more casual formal while a shirt is just a shirt.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 11:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I always think that a blouse has to be ironed or dry cleaned, while a shirt is wash and wear. Also, my grandmother wore blouses.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• a shirt to me is a tee or cotton type shirt... a blouse is as kerijeanbean mentioned, a different material.. anything that isn't a stretchy cotton...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Keri's idea of the difference in the two is also mine. If I wouldn't wear it around the house or out in the yard, it's a blouse. If I would wear it around the house, out grocery shopping, or out in the yard, it's a "shirt" =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2010