Help!! Need advise about telling kids dog has cancer.

this morning we were told by our vet that our dog has cancer and at this point we have to make her comfortable and decide when it is time to put her down. I have never been through this and don't know how to tell the kids, does anyone have any advice or suggestions. How do you do this?

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I'm so sorry, putting a pet down is one of the most difficult things we face in life. How old are your kids?
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'm so sorry that you received such Bad News about your dog- i know there are alot of websites that might help you with telling them; the only one that is coming to my mind right this minute is: www.dogster.com You should be able to find more from there- Wishing youl lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Awwww... I'm sorry. At 13 and 21 they are certainly old enough to understand. I would just tell them and ask them to participate in the decision making as to when it is time. Friends of ours recently had to put a dog to sleep... they took a weekend and made it 'Baxter weekend' and did everything that the dog liked best before taking him to the vet on Monday morning. It was a way for them to say goodbye and make the time they had left with the dog special. Remember it's normal to be upset, to cry, and to mourn. Pets are family too.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• they are 13 and 21. I actually think that my 21 yr old will have the most trouble with this.
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Just tell them. You might be surprised how they take it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is really hard. We had to tell our 7 year old last May that we had to put down our beloved Pit Bull who was only 18 months. You just have to be very honest and let them ask questions. You will be surprised how they take it. And if they get upset, know it's part of the healing process. They will be upset when the time comes but cry together. Talk about your dog and how awesome he/she was. I am sure at 13 and 21 they will so a lot better than a 6 year old to be honest. But they will show emotions. My husband cried for two days after we put her down. My uncle was totally lost. With everyone going to work and school during the day he was so lonely :-(
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with Freela.

So sad to lose a pet, no matter the age of your pet.........andthough your children are old enough to understand, Freela's idea sounds really nice.

Sorry to hear about your fur baby! I pray they can keep her comfortable and you all have time to say good bye.

♥HUGS♥
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• sorry about you dog....we just put our almost 12yro Pit Bull down May 1, 2010 from kidney cancer. My kids were 6yrs and 4mos. I told my dd(6yro) that Chynna was sick and that she was going to have to go to heaven. She went with us to have her pts and has her ashes in her bedroom. This on top of 5 days before I found out and had to tell her that I have cancer. We also lost my mom last year to pancreatic cancer. So way too much heartache! I think a 13 and 21 yro could handle the news much better.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 9:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Thank you for all your help and suggestions. There were so many good answers that I used alittle of everything to tell them and we are going to get together and spend a weekend just like Freela said. I'm so sorry for all of you who have had to go through this too.

Pitbull4me, I am so sorry for your loss and the news of your cancer. I hope all goes well for you!!
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i thought ur kids were babies or much younger .. try ur best 2 explain
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010