Why do we all have to have insurance again?

Is it REALLY because everyone pays for the uninsured...

or is it because....drum roll please...
that's what the insurance industry lobbied for?
What do you think?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Insurance execs have been getting skimpy Christmas bonuses, time for the little Mrs. to get a new Rolex this year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My family has very high premiums that keep increasing.

The GOP needs to be leaned on to do something about insurance companies
    The ONLY hope we have for this is the Tea Party type grassroots action.
    I don't expect to get much consideration from a RINO.

Mr. Obama and the Democrats had a chance to do something good, but of course screwed it completely up.

They brought all their really weirdo Socialist buddies with them and now people wouldn't buy a newspaper from them!

So much for any chance at real health care reform!
    Thanks for NOTHING Dims.

Maybe instead of that fools errand, they could have spent that time doing something about the stinko economy.

So we end up with zero in both arenas.
    Just great.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Because some uneducated pie in the sky people voted in a socialistic man to rule America. I hope their health insurance prices go up first.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Insurance companies also funnelled 10 to 20 million dollars into the Chamber Of Commerce to run ads attacking health care reform to try and kill it.

And the unions funnelled money and had meeting with the President of the US in their lobbying efforts to protect any part of their caddilac plans/tax...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The funny part to me is the wealthy tend to be a target. They are greedy and need to be taxed more. (according some) But yet they are not permitted to pay for there healthcare out of pocket. I do mean healthcare, not health insurance. If you can walk into the doctor pull out the cash and pay the bill why shouldn't you be allowed to do so?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Pretty much. We had a meeting at work (I'm an insurance underwriter) months before the individual mandate was general knowledge. Really months before HCR really heated up. We were told the plan that they ( the insurance companies ) had proposed to congress. The exact one that passed BTW. We were told then to basically start planning for our future, meaning looking for a new career. When that passes our jobs will be gone. They were pretty confident that would pass. Wonder why.....lol. the inner workings of our government. Very shady.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think you nailed it, lovinangels.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Because I underwrite individual policies. Mandate everyone at guaranteed coverage...no more underwriting. Clerical work to set them up and enroll them only. My department however will be obsolete.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Because that's what happens when you let industry lobbyists write legislation.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• "Because some uneducated pie in the sky people voted in a socialistic man to rule America. I hope their health insurance prices go up first. "

lol i wish theirs would, but theirs are pretty well covered, so they won't suffer any repercussions from it. But most of the rest of us are already dealing with getting hit with higher premiums, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010