Nursing and feeding on demand

I am nursing and my doctor says to feed every two to three hours. But I always have to wake my baby up and than she falls asleep right away after latching on. So my question is how do I keep my milk supply up if I start nursing her on demand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For the first little while babies do need to be woken up to nurse every 2 to 3 hours. I know it's a pain, but they really do need to eat that often. You can let it go for 4 hours once a day if you want to get some sleep, that's okay. But don't wait much longer than that.

Soon she will start cueing you to feed her more often and pretty soon she will not need to be woken up at all. You can only nurse on demand if baby is demanding lol. But don't worry it WILL happen. She's just sleepy right now :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Ati 13 hit the nail on the head! At first babies do need to be woken up....I think I was up about three times a night with DD for the first 3 months. They do become more wakeful with time.
    If you are concerned with milk supply, most health insurance covers breast pumps with a prescription from a Dr.! You might want to invest in one and pump...then your SO could lend a hand in the middle of night feedings, you could get some much needed rest, and your milk supply will be fine!
    Good luck, Mama!
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• ok i breastefed my son and when my boobs hurt or they were filled up i offered it to him or i just pumped a little bit out to relieve pressure and to keep the milk in supply. worked for me. hope you find something that will work for u to.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• NEVER once did I wake a baby to eat! I fed on demand from day one. Your milk will come in as it's needed, if you are thinking you need to increase your supply, try Milkmade tea or something similar which will help your body to make more naturally. If you are in pain because you're making to much, pump or use a hot compress to help relieve the pressure. Babies will eat when they need to, there is never a need to wake them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Only wake a baby to nurse if there are weight issues or low diaper count. Otherwise, nurse on demand, and your supply will adjust to baby's demand. Personally, if a newborn slept for say, 5, 6 hours THEN, I might wake once to nurse. But otherwise, as long as you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, on demand is just fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i had one son in the nicu. when they quit waking him to feed him, he doubled his consumption! i say there are very few good reasons to wake a sleeping baby. if you are feeling full, then you can hand express or pump to relieve the pressure.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Jaundice is the only good reason to wake a sleeping baby, IMO.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2010