need advise how to tell kids dog has cancer.

I have never had to do this and I am not sure how to tell the kids our dog has cancer and that at this point we just have to make her comfortable and decide when it is time to put her down. Any advice or has anyone ever gone through this.

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is not an easy task, but it will be a lesson in loss and love. Explain to them that the dog has a disease that is not curable and the only humane thing to do is put it to sleep so he won't be in pain any more.

Answer by older at 10:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Wow, This is a toughie. I belonged to the petlossgroup@yahoo.com There's quite a few there with knowledge, caring and kind. I know many that did Chemo and all. Funny is that when My friends found out I have Cancer & needed Chemo. They told me what worked for their Dogs and horse!! Anyway, I'm sorry. We dealt with this with my DD's Cat. He had leukemia. Both of my DD's were young. We decided to do what we wanted. Even though we had other cats. We did What Sonny wanted. As long as he fought it he lived. We took care of him.. He lived his life on its own course. We explained about what it was and we just took the best care of him. We didn't let him suffer. Its a personal choice. Of what to do. How to just explain it, softly and gently. Love your dog like no tomorrow.. Words of love and care and a lot of tears. Know I'm sorry and I care. Best of luck.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Both of our dogs died last year, one had cancer the other just went to sleep never woke up again. It is hard but the best thing to do is be honest and forward and answer their questions. I simply tell my kids what the situation is and let them ask the questions. I think they feel more at peace if they can ask based on their perspectives and questions on it. It's not easy every kid is different. I wish you luck and very sorry for the loss of your puppy.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 1:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Talk about how your body is made up of cells. You can even go to the library to get the books that talk about this. When cells grow out of control it is called cancer. They grown too fast and make a person sick. Our dog has cancer and these cells that have taken over some parts of her body. Sometimes when people or animals have cancer there is treatment and medicine that makes a person gets better. Sometimes, no matter how much medicine that is given, you cannot get healthy again. Our dog is very sick and will soon die. It is our job to make our family member comfortable and we don't want our dog to hurt. Sometimes certain types of illness can be painful.....I would use this as an opportunity to talk about sickness, dying, and what it means to be dead. Also about what my beliefs about death and dying are in the spiritual sense. Hard. But this and advantage to having pets.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all your help all answers were appreciated and used in some way. It is hard but they know now and we can go through the process of everything involved. We will enjoy our dog for as long as we can, then we will make that decision knowing it is best for her. Thanks again.
    sue118

Comment by sue118 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010