When should I start potty training my son?

My son is 2 years old and not showing any signs of wanting to potty train.

Alexa_Mommy93

Asked by Alexa_Mommy93 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 2 as well and is very interested but just not able to figure out he has peed or pooped till after he has gone. We have slowly been giving him opportunities to get interested. We let him watch us go, we place him on the potty if he asks, we have several books about it and a DVD.. we also have a small potty for him to play with. He thinks the flushing part is awesome and often have to take him away from it because he will flush and flush till we take him away from it.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• if he shows no signs, then he isnt ready! this is something that needs to be child-led. If you "force" the child to learn something he isnt ready for there will be a constant power struggle. But since he is 2, and can absorb more information now, you could start teaching the basics. Buy some potty dvd's and potty books (many are aimed towards the younger crowd), do some show and tell when you go to the bathroom (narrate what you are doing and why in simple repetitive terms). Next time he pees/poops in his diaper tell him what he did so he can connect the dots. Join a potty training group on here! there are many resources and they are very helpful!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010