Do you give your kids a spending limit on what they want for xmas?

this year my son asked for a wii but I don't have that kind of money..So I had his grampa send me an email pretending to be santa and explaining to him that he can't go over $20 for his gift to any child this year cuz the cost of reigndeer food went up and santa don't have alot of extra money this year...so I came up with a good idea that I thougt I'd share with ya'll..I'm taking ds to walmart and walk down the toy isles and choose three toys for $20 he might like to have and santa will choose which one he gets...I'm doing that with dd and my other ds except for them being teens they have the same budget as he does...Of course they'll all get small things from us but the one big thing comes from Santa...

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• Last year I bought my son a wii, but on the condition that this year it would have to be quantity over quality. Last year it was quality over quantity. Santa brought my kids lesser expensive items. But my kids don't really know how much it all cost.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 10:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 7, so I dont think I could do that. If they were to ask for something that was extremely expensive, I would get the grandparents to donate $ to buy it I think, but I havnt' had that issue yet, they arnt picky about what they get(so far)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My children are small (4 and 2) and we don't do Santa. I also don't do big expensive gifts. I buy them some things they need (a few new clothes) then maybe 2-3 toys. I spend maybe $100 per child. I think spending hundreds of dollars is rediculous when I buy them things all year long. They are always pleased with what they get.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• dmdblleb wait till they are older that will no longer work!
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I have the kids write out their Christmas list, they can put whatever they want on it, but they know they won't get everything. I like seeing their "unedited" list - there's no harm in them dreaming. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Lol I also let mine make their own list, without restrictions on cost but they are limited to putting 10 things on the list each. They know they will not be getting all the items they put on there. With what they put down, me and my mom go together and get the things we think they will most enjoy, or what ever we can afford. I normally spend about $100-$150 per child, and my mom spends about $200 per child. They do get one big present each, from "santa" that my mom and I normally split the cost of but that is included in what we already spend. Also that includes stocking stuffers and Christmas eve present.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I should add, one year my son who was 3 at the time asked for a space ship and a lord of the Rings ring. So he got a Buzz Lightyear Spaceship toy and a 10K gold Lord of the Rings ring :) To fulfill his whole list that year only cost $40, since he only put those two things LOL.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010