• In the Spotlight:

Your opinion counts soooo much!!

My husbands cousin was living with us in the apartment. A week ago he left. I asked my Husband if he gave back the house key he had. He said No. Do you think its okay for him to have the key to the house or should he give it back? My husband says its okay. He'll give us the key when ever he wants. I dont agree with this. Should he have the key to my house although NOT living with us no more? What is your opinion?? Please answer honestly. Thank You!

lasisterd

Asked by lasisterd at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• I think that all depends on how close you are and how much you trust him?
    Elise1968

Answer by Elise1968 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think you should ask for the key back, unless he's helping out with household chores like walking the dog, or something where he needs to be in the house (which I doubt he's doing) I don't think it would be rude or "not right" to ask for the key back. It's your house. Also there may be some trust issues there, if there are any trust issues def get the key back.
    KatieMommy9303

Answer by KatieMommy9303 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I agree with Elise.. if you don't trust him, get your key back asap.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yeah, depends on the situation. I fyou can trust him then I don't see why it's a bad thing. If you don't trust him, I'd either demand that he give it back or change the locks.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I agree with Elise. It depends really, but you don't sound comfortable with him having the key so I'd ask for it back.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• HELL NO..... WHY SHOULD HE HAVE A KEY IF HE DOES NOT LIVE THERE. WHAT IF ONE DAY YOU ARE NAKED AND HE JUST WALKS IN. ID JUST CHANGE THE LOCKS.
    Anonymous

• Cousin or not, he should have given the key back. I know your hubby seems ok with it but if it really bothers you then you should talk to hubby and tell him it worries you. If you can't get the key back...then change the locks, it's really simple to do. Hope this helps.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It depends on you and your husband. Do you all trust him? If not then get your key back.
    shonalashae

Answer by shonalashae at 3:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Honestly I would have taken the key from him upon his leaving. If he had stuff still there then I would tell him that he would have to pay to store that as well or take it with him. Maybe even get a storage shed of some kind. None the less that is your house and your stuff and that is a bit of a privacy problem to know that he is able to come in when ever he wants. He could come by when your not home to eat your food, use your water for a shower, or even collect loose change if he needed it. No matter the reason he is able to stop by whenever. I say that if your husband doesn't take the key then you should kindly ask for it back and let it at that. Also if something came up missing and you had the key he wouldn't be the first person questioned. If he didn't give up the key.. then that is another story. Good Luck with your dilemma.....
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• depends if you think that he will rob you, if you dont think he will cause problems, just let him give it back whenever, but if you do and dont trust him, confront him yourself, and make up a lie about why you need it back...or tell the truth, whatever workd for you!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008