How do you clean your pergo without commercial cleaners?

I hate having nineteen different cleaners for different things in my house, so when i mop, i usually just use bleach water. I like that it feels good and disinfected when i'm done, but i HATE the smell. Any other suggestions?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 11:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Do not use bleach water on your laminate flooring! You have to be careful with products, you don't want to use anything that has wax in it, it will eventually ruin your laminate. I was told to just use a damp mop, but then a friend recommended Bona hardwood and laminate cleaner, and I've been using that and I love it. Make sure any product says it is safe for laminate, most aren't.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I want something that will disinfect it though. I have a one year old crawling around, and another one on the way so i like to know my floors are CLEAN!
    MommaTurbo

Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I used a very watered down mixture of murphy's oil soap and water on ours. If you are worried about disinfecting, why not spray the floor with lysol? A lot of products will wreck your floors so be careful.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Lysol stinks just as bad as bleach! I'm not too worried about ruining the floors. I've been moping with bleach for almost two years now, and it hasn't hurt it yet. And i'm not terribly opposed to having to redo the floors anyways, because i want tile.
    MommaTurbo

Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• you can use vinegar. it will smell vinegary for a little while, but the smell will fade. and it is non toxic. i use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in a bucket of hot water. i add orange oil to break the smell. i would much rather my child crawl on vinegar cleaned floors than bleach or any other chemical for that matter. vinegar is a great disinfectant too. i normally just use a steam mop. also. even if you just steam mop the hard floors, they will still be cleaner than the carpeted floors.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I keep hearing that vinegar is a good cleaner! I'm not a huge fan of the smell, but it's better than bleach. It just doesn't seem like a disinfectant to me! I guess because i'm so accustomed to the chemical cleaners.

I would LOVE to have a steam cleaner! One that does upholstery, hard floors and everything!
    MommaTurbo

Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010