Dealing with pets behavior when the baby arrives?

Anyone have any advice/stories regarding their animals behavior once they brought their newborn home? I'm about 7 months pregnant now and we have a young cat (not quite a kitten anymore)...I'm curious to see what your experiences were like with your pet and/or any preparations you made. thanks.

supersammyz

Asked by supersammyz at 11:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pets

• We had two cats and they were afraid of her. She made loud noises, smelled funny and grabbed tails. They were never allowed in her nursery and when she was out of her nursery, my DH or I were with her constantly. We did allow the cats to smell her and be around when we were with her, just to let them get used to the fact that she was a new family member. Our cats were indoor cats whose claws had been removed before we got them, so scratching was not a problem. I did vacuum more often and change the air filters more often and moved the litter box to a room she could not access when she was crawling and walking. She loved the cats and still loves kitties today.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Have your DH bring home a blanket you've used with your new baby. That way your animals can get use to the new smell before baby comes home. Normally they are just inquisitive. I'm not sure what my dog is going to do because I got her when my DD was 2. But there are ways to get them use to babys smell before their introduced. My suggestion is to join a dog forum and get lots of advice. I can recommend one if you'd like. Just pm for the link.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We did this for our dog, I don't know how well it will work with cats but you may want to try it. We got a doll about the size of a baby that cried and cooed like a baby, so he could get used to the new sounds in the house. My SIL had the litter box and the cats food/water in the basment. She kept the door closed but had pet door installed so the cats could go freely withou the worry of open stairs. Her cats didn't want anything to do with the baby and left the room whenever the baby came into it. I have also heard that there is something in cat feces that can make babies sick, so just don't keep or put anything that is baby's near the litter box. Make sure you wash your hands very well after cleaning the litter box.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 24, 2010