school uniforms

Do you feel that due to the fashion choices of our youth,that uniforms should be required? I live near a middle school,and the clothes these 11-14 yr olds wear shocks me!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• having a uniform does not nec. limit individualiy... 1stof all it is possible to have a lenient dress code, like a PP said. And 2nd of all and most importantly is your creativity is limited to the clothes you wear for a few hours a day... well you are not very creative at all.
    I work at a HS with uniforms, Trust me kids firgure out how to show their personality AND I went to catholic school -- strict uniforms -- and we STILL expressed our individuality.
    Its cheaper, cuts down on some issues, AND not too diff. from adult life (most of us wear "work" clothes -- whether official uniform or not)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is not about what they kids are wearing or how they are wearing it that shocks or disturbs me. But I do support school uniforms. I have seen how this has helped schools. I have seen a school with huge problems decrease the issues in just one year - in part due to uniforms. Gangs cannot wear their gang colors, no purses, only back packs, and amazingly theft has gone down. No more haves vs. have nots. They also installed cameras that are hidden and rotated around the school. Each grade had their own hall they stick to for all their classes and a courtesy officer per hall. It worked.  A few years ago I would have said no way to school uniforms but seeing how it works first hand has made me a believer.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Uniforms are one of the benefits of private schools. It reminds the kids that they are in a particular place to do a particular thing, gives a sense of solidarity to the children, and keeps the focus off inconsequential items like how to dress cool. An added side benefit is that getting the boys dressed in the morning is a snap and school shopping is a breeze.

As to squashing their individuality - I don't buy it. Each of my kids have very well developed, individual tastes and likes. They've got plenty of time to express themselves outside of school hours.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My DD started middle school this year. Her school has a somewhat lenient dress code. They have to wear polo style shirts or school logo t-shrits. They are allowed to wear jeans as long as there are no holes in them and shorts as long as they are long enough and have no holes as well. I think it is good for them. While I would never let my child go out of the house dressed inappropriately, some of the clothes the kids wear are appaling.
    MrsWilmot

Answer by MrsWilmot at 12:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• For public schools? No. I wholeheartedly oppose it. However, private schools I think have the right to implement uniforms.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• In Louisiana, we are required school uniforms. Somedays it seems good others it is frustrating. My daughter has been wearing uniforms since Kindergarten she is now in 10 grade.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Most all the public schools here have went to uniforms gradually over the past 10 years. At first I wasn't really for it but now that my son is in school it is really so much easier and cheaper for us so I can't complain.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I am VERY torn with this subject. As an educator I have seen the positive side of this. Kids seperate themselves from eachother less, it keeps the distractions down and it is cheaper than going out and buying a ton of different clothes for less able families. This all said it cuts off a child's freedom of expression and to show wom they are...as it is kids have a hard time with expressiong themselves. I think there should be limitations. Shirts must cover all skin, skirts and shorts should be a certain length etc. We are not allowed to wear provacative items in the workforce. Therefor they shouldnt wear it in schools
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Our school system (public) has had uniforms for two years now. I like it a lot. Some of the girls still seem to pull off the "hoochie" look, but in general they dress appropriately.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Enforcing a dress code would be better. I used to be for school uniforms until I saw that the reality of it was overpriced cheap clothing, and contracts that said you had to buy from a specific company......somebody is making tons of money off of this and ripping parents off.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010