vicoden and breastfeeding.

I have Endometriosis and my ob prescibed vicoden to help me deal with the pain. I am currently BF my 7 week old and wondered if I shouldnt take it. there are no studies that it can harm the baby while BF and studies show that its ok during pregnancy. what do you think

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 1:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took vicodin for about 2 weeks after my c-section. They were prescribed by my OBGYN so I felt safe knowing she wouldn't prescribe me something that would be harmful to my baby while I was breastfeeding. As long as you follow the dosage it'll be fine.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well, I took it the first few days after may c-sec but things don't past through colostrum he same way... I would say that if the pain is getting to where you are not wanting to breast feed or function then go ahead and take it. It would be better for a little bit of the drug to pass then for you to give up on breast feeding or be to painful to enjoy it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is safe as long as it's taken AS DIRECTED.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i took it but didnt want to bf with it but they say its safe
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I decided to bf after I got home from the hospital....In the hospital I used formula....so I called and asked b/c I was on vicodin. They said it was safe. Just take as directed.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010