Does the dollar store really save you money?

Or is all the stuff there crap?

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 1:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• DEFINITELY!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think that it is mostly junk, but once in a blue moon we stop in there for some toys for camping.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My probelm at the dollar store is I go in to buy stirring spoons and a pot holders and walk out with spoon, pot holders, a box od sidewalk chalk, a glass cat figurine, a head band, a little purse, and a bag of chocolate. SO not it saves me no money at all. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It used to save me money when I was going to college out of state. I bought the generic brand of sauve for shampoo and conditioner. I also would buy hand soap, but it was important to buy my laundry detergent and toilet paper at the walmart.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• it saves me money...i love dollar stores, but where i live, their 1.25 stores..but still..their perfect for holiday themed items, bday party supplies, cards, pens pencils, paper, etc...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Not really. There is very little there that is worth it IMO - I go every year just before Christmas and get approximately 30 coloring/activity books for $1 each, and that is very worth it - they're the same quality as Wal-Mart or anywhere else for much cheaper! Once in a while I"ll find an oddball thing that I can't find anywhere else, but for the most part, no, dollar stores do NOT save ME any money. When my kids were in diapers, they were always more expensive at any dollar store - same with any baby product that wasn't cheap crap. Cleaners, meds, anything like that - not worth it or more expensive.
    Anonymous

• At times yes but you have to know what the regular price's are on particular items you are buying.  I know it saves me money.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think most of the stuff there is garbage, but I will go in there every once in a while for paper good for parties--plates, napkins, paper cups, etc. Also, the coloring books and bubbles for the kids to blow are a good deal. And maybe the gift bags, which can be $2 - $4 at other places. Aside from those things, there's nothing I'd want from the dollar store.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Most of the stuff they sell there is crap, but you can save money on stuff like wrapping paper and mylar balloons. Those are the only things I go there for.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• OH YEAH! They save us TONS of money. I am very picky about what I get from any store, but I have found you can get items of just as good quality at places like Family Dollar or Dollar Tree as you can at Macy's. In fact I just bought an Ed Hardy Leather purse at Family Dollar for $5 - the same one was going for $85 online... And yes, it's real, but the company was overstocked, so stuff got sent out to FD. As for things like Soap & Detergent, how could it not save you money? I mean, you can pay $5 for Cottonelle TP at the grocery store, or $2 at FD... How does that not save money? And things like hangers or clothes pins or crafting items... Why pay 4x the price when you can spend $1 and get the same thing?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010