Why do I always think my baby is going to die?

I always think my baby is dead. When she is sleeping at night I go in and check on her. Sometimes her breathing is so shallow I can see the rise in her chest and I freak out and put my hand on her and if I don't feel the rise and fall I move her so she moves back. That eases me. Also in the car if she is quiet in her seat and I can't see her I always think. OMG whats wrong? Is she alive? Whats wrong with me? She is perfectly healthy and has never had a problem (she is almost 7 months old). There is no reason to think this way. Has anyone else experienced this?

nangel5

Asked by nangel5 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOTHING IS WRONG. U R A VERY NERVOUS MOM.
    Anonymous

• I get that way too. I have bad anxiety though. I will be going about my day and get this sick feeling for no reason. My kids are 5 and 3 and I am even more worried. I guess we are just nervous nellies.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I did almost the same thing for the first year.You hear so many story's about crib death. It can really scare you.If I didn't here breath on the monitor I was in there checking if she was ok.I don't do it any more I just had to get past that first year.She is almost 2 know.It should pass it did with me.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yep, I'm with you. I still HAVE to check on my 2 year old before I can sleep at night. I have to be completely dead tired to sleep now since I'm terrified my 1 month old will stop breathing. I have anxiety issues, too. Maybe you should address that. Learning to control the anxiety might make things a lot less scary...it worked wonders for me. I'm even letting my father-in-law watch my kids tonight...without my supervision!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• its a mom thing im that way..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's anxiety. The media bombards us with all these scary stories and big companies use that to sell us stuff we don't want. I check on my 4 mo old all the time when he is sleeping too :) it will get better in time.
    ViolinistBeth

Answer by ViolinistBeth at 4:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Most likely nothing is wrong, expect for nerves or anxiety and just being a new mom. I was very anxious after my DS was born too. Sleep deprivation can make you a little loopy and more anxious in general as well. I still worry A LOT and have trouble letting other people be responsible for him, but I think I'm a little less anxious than I was when he was an infant.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i think it's a very normal mommy thing if my baby get real quiet in the baby monitor i get up and go check on him and if he makes any wierd sound i wake from a dead sleep to check on him
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010