I feel like a bad mother!! =(

My 11 month old son is teething and has a fever and I don't have the money to get him tylenol. I have a whole 75 cents to my name until late tomorrow afternoon. What should I do? How can I make him more comfortable? Please, help me make my little one feel better. There's nothing worse than having a screaming baby and not being able to comfort him.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ther is nothing wrong with not having money as long as you did not spend it selfishly or frivously so stop feeling bad. Is there anyone you can borrow the money from until tomorrow? Or a neighbor you can borrow a dose of tylenol from? As far as comfort techniques go... Hold your baby, sing to him, give him a wet washcloth that you have put in the freezer, frozen bagels work well for gumming too.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Be careful with putting things in the freezer...it can cause frostbite on their gums. I've let my kids chew on refrigerated (wet) washcloths...and ONCE they had a bag of corn to chew on, lol. It thawed really fast. Maybe he'd enjoy a popsicle too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I already borrowed a dose...it was the last dose my neighbor had =( And I don't have anyone I can borrow money from b/c everybody knows that my husband spent most of our money on a computer last week and then had to get new headlights b/c his went out. Nobody seems willing to loan my family money since my husband spend the last of ours...they're afraid we won't pay him back even though I most definitely would.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Excuse me Mrs. Anonymous. I don't know who you think you are but if you knew my situation you would take back what you said so fast your head would spin! You have no right to talk to me like that! I've already said I feel like a horrible mom and thanks to you I feel a whole lot worse...gee! Thanks for that!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yea I know...me and my husband got into a huge argument over that darn computer. I hate that since he made a bad choice our child has to suffer. It's not right. I would gladly pay back double whatever anyone let me borrow for my baby. I don't want him to run a fever all night long because his dad spent our money...but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do =(
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Ok well realistically the internet thought crossed my mind but I don't know your situation and thus I have no room to judge. For all I know you're borrowing wireless from a local hotel :) Your husband spent money selfishly and now your child is suffering. That's not cool. HE needs to get his priorities straight and you need to help him to do so. Or you need to start putting money aside so YOU have something to spend when you or your child needs something.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Listen to me and listen good! We do not pay for the internet...we live with another family member who pays for the internet. We could afford the child when we got pregnant...my husband got laid off (let me guess, you have something smart to say about that too, huh?). I ended up fired from my job b/c I was a cashier and spent more time in the bathroom than my cash register thanks to morning sickness. My husband has a job and I am a stay at home mom b/c daycare prices around here are outrageous and it's cheaper for me to stay at home. I don't know why I'm trying to explain myself to someone that has nothing better to do than get on cafemom to talk bad to people. I know our situation is horrible, but life isn't good to everybody. So get off my back! I hope your happy...I just wrote this whole thing through tears!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yes , I agree that was rude! Some of you people have been fortunate enough not to have to struggle. I commend you Krystal for being honest enough to tell your business and I apoligize for the ignorant people who responded with ideas on "selling your computer". I would personally see if I could borrow some from a neighbor or family until you have the money. I too am having a hard time financially, unemployed for 6 weeks and know your struggle. PLEASE ignore the IGNORANCE!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Can you borrow tylenol from another mom or friend?
    Call doctor to see if he has any samples.
    If I knew you were next door I would help you out. Could you also put the tylenol on your credit card. Or you could just do other comfot measures, like when they didn't have tylenol back in the day.
    Don't worry about what other people say. Hope you find a solution.
    :) Smiles
    MaMaLaLa78

Answer by MaMaLaLa78 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Arg, this is why I don't enjoy Cafe Mom more.

Shame on those of you who can do nothing but chastise her for being hard up for money, like we haven't all been there!

Krystal: Cold washcloths sound like the way to go. Though Tylenol would probably work wonders, plenty of people get their children through teething without medicinal help! And a suggestion for the future: but away $50 or $100 bucks for emergencies that your husband doesn't know about, as it sounds like he's not very good with money. I'm not condemning you; it's situations like this that we learn from and I highly doubt you'll get stuck like this again. If something like this happens again, then I'd be ok with you feeling lousy about yourself, but cut yourself a break this first time. :)

KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2008