Does Paganism Have A Code To Live By?

The Abrahamic faiths have the 10 Commandments (basically to do good to God, others and self).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that the first three goals of life for Hinduism is dharma (religious acts), prosperity (wealth) and pleasure (sexual love and family life).

And a funny comparison is that some secular and fictitious characters, like Leroy Jethro Gibbs, have rules (http://ncis.wikia.com/wiki/Leroy_Jethro_Gibbs/Rules?t=Leroy+Jethro+Gibbs%2FRules#Rules).

Do branches of paganism other than Hinduism have a code or rule by which one should live life?

Thanks!

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 1:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Generally yes. Each path is going to have it's own teachings and dogma attached... But generally yes, they all have some form of code by which followers adhere to.

Wicca for example follows a "Harm None" rule, which dictates that whatever their actions are, they should cause no harm to anyone. Now, some take this to more extremes than others, but the basic tenant is the same.

For Eclectic Pagans such as myself, there simply tends to be more of an understanding than a rule. An understanding that you reap what you sow, so to speak. I've found the the vast majority of religions (Pagan or non-Pagan in nature) all tend to have the same principal of "love thy neighbor" or peace first, rather than one endorsing chaos or harm, because of this, I don't need to have a written rule to live by - it's just basic common sense that if we are loving and tolerant first, we are making things better for ourselves as well as others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Hindus are not Pagans. Hindus believe in God, the one universal creator.

Hindus have 4 "Goals of Life". We have:

Dharma
    Artha
    Kama
    Moksa

Dharma: Living/doing one's duty in life based on our caste, our jobs, our age/stage in life, and gender .. Dharma translates to " to uphold .or. to support".. An english loose translation would be "law".. Our Dharma is basically the "law" by which we live our lives.
    Artha: that is to gain wealth/prosperity/fame..etc.. in life.. But those things are in the eyes of the beholder. To some prosperity has to do with money. To some it doesn't.
    Kama: This does include sexual/sensual pleasures. But it also includes all other pleasures of the senses as well. It's the overall enjoyment/pleasure in life/ that life has to offer.
    Moksa: that's liberation from samsara. that's achieving enlightenment so that the soul ascends a one no longer has to suffer the cycle of rebirth/death.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'm so sorry I misunderstood! I was told in another question I posted that all non-Abrahamic religions are pagan, which includes Hinduism and Buddhism. I'm sorry.

People who self-identify as Pagan and people who are called pagan are two different things. I do not self-identify as Pagan, but because I don't worship the Abrahamic god, I am forced into the little pagan box by those who do. It depends on the manner in which you are using the word.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• yes some branches have guidelines but its mostly do like u want to b done and put nature and your family first
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• What kittty-kat said...

Practioners of Kemetic Orthodoxy follow this: http://paganizingfaithofyeshua.netfirms.com/42_negative_confessions.htm
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Heathenry has the Nine Noble Virtues

Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industry, Self-Reliance, and Perseverance

We do not have a "harm none" rule in the sense that it's implied in Wicca and most neo-pagan belief systems.  The balance of honorable behavior and self-reliance trumps being nice to others just for the sake of being nice.  Someone must first earn the respect of being treated honorably, instead of the default, be nice to everyone until they screw up.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Bide the Wiccan Law ye must,
    In perfect love, in perfect trust.

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
    An ye harm none, do as ye will.

And ever mind the Rule of Three:
    What ye send out, comes back to thee.

Follow this with mind and heart,
    And merry ye meet, and merry ye part.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We know that pixie, but some Christians believe that ANY religion other then a christian one is pagan.
    And, yes, even pagan religions have codes to live by. There is the Wiccan Rede, and most others have a "Harm none" belief in there somewhere.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Main just do onto others as you want done onto you and harm none
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

I'm so sorry I misunderstood!  I was told in another question I posted that all non-Abrahamic religions are pagan, which includes Hinduism and Buddhism.  I'm sorry.

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010