Should registry cards be sent out with birth anouncements?

Just wondering if this is rude or not. Since a lot of people do get a small gift for baby after birth (just thought this would let people know what baby may still need or could use) - such as small items :diapers, wipes, bottle liners, paci's, toys, clothes, blankets, etc (no big items!). What do you think? Would it be okay or rude to send registry cards out with the birth announcements?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 1:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't. I feel that is asking for gifts... which I consider a bit on the rude side.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i think it would be rude
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would not. It does sound like asking for a gift and gift giving should be spontaneous---their idea,not yours.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• So should we just stick to letting people know that call and ask after recieving anouncements?
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• That is the most tacky thing I've heard in a long time. Yes, if someone calls you and asks what you need, then you can let them know, but that's even a stretch IMO. Registries are for baby showers for first babies.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. Most people are going to assume you have all of your larger items and will either call and ask what you need or will pick some small token item up for the baby and usually the momma to! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't do it, but it seems to be pretty common now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it's rude. A registry should have been sent out with your shower invitations. Not to be nasty, but just because you have a baby doesn't mean you are entitled to gifts. Not everyone is able to buy the baby something. People do so because a new baby is a joy. IMO you should be able to take care of a baby without expecting gifts. And if you have an older baby/toddler/child, I hope you saved a lot of the things, especially if you knew you wanted another one. I can see if you have a kid who is 5 or older not having some big things around, but anyways....I have a 1 and 2 yr old. In a few years when they are older we will try for a girl....I am saving EVERYTHING large and expensive to use again. Pain storing it, but cheaper than purchasing it again.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:24 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• no. wait for people to ask
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• 2BlondeBabies: I did specify "SMALL" items - such as any baby would need (1st 2nd 3rd or otherwise) We did keep and or replace any large items. And I'm not asking this question in reference to expecting anyone to buy anything. I just have always run into people calling and asking what they can bring the baby or what baby needs. Just thought this way "if and only if they were planning on it anyways" the info would be right there. But based on others thoughts I may pass and just go through answering questions via phone again ( also as far as shower/ sprinkle goes- I wont be having one so I wont be able to provide this info then either) But thanks for the opinions ladies.
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010