If you live in a home with stairs, how long till you werent worried about you kids on the stairs. Whate age?

My son is going to be 3 next month and i still freak out and follow him up and down.

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 1:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm 24 and still fall down the stairs! lol
    umm... 3ish 4ish depending on the kid? can he do it with out you holding his hand? Going up the stairs doesn't seem as hard as going down. If you have time in the day you can practice with him (it's also good oversize for you ) but it would have to be your best judgment. All kids are different and only you can judge how well he is handling the stairs at the moment.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son was raised in my home that has upstairs bedrooms and different floor levels downstairs, there was danger everywhere, he never got hurt in them. It depends on the kid, mine was a careful non risk that took care of himself but there are some that are reckless. He learned to go up and down with his hands one step at a time and as he grew, he became more confident but did it slow and yes I followed him too, he was about 3 when he became good at it! He will be fine!

Answer by older at 1:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son is 3. I still watch him on the stairs, but I don't feel the need to be right there. That stopped...maybe 2? 2.5? I don't really remember, it wasn't really a conscious decision.

My 18-month-old I still stay a step down from her to catch her if she falls. But she's still crawling up and down the stairs. When she's walking them confidently, I'll probably start doing what I do with my son.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• When I knew they could walk it well. So about 2 2.5.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• 3
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids could handle the stairs well by the time they were one. Our stairs are carpeted though so that probably makes a difference. I would say by 18 months my kids were pros on the steps. I didn't worry. In fact they have a tendency to scare people at church and at the library. :D My 10 month old is just starting to figure them out. I'm sure it won't be long now.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Once they could go up and down without problems. Usually by 2 or 3. I have to worry about myself. In one of our places, I was holding my daughter as we walked down the stairs and I skipped the bottom two stairs, fell and sprained my ankle in 3 different places. Now I have to count every time I go down the stairs. Luckily my daughter was not hurt. Just me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• my son was just telling me this morning that he and I are the only ones in the family that have not fallen down any stairs yet! i worry more about dh falling than the little ones. the bigger they are, the harder they fall! our basement stairs are actually the best ones to fall down, the basement carpet pad is really good!
    we have one child now that was a climber, and we found the stair gates more dangerous than the stairs.
    it really does depend on the kid and how daring they are! my twins are 2 1/2 and i haven't worried about the stairs in a long time!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I made it to about 6-7 months pregnant with stairs, and then we moved, when I slipped down them one day.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids are grown and Im STILL worried...they arent the most careful people in the world LOL ;-)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 11:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2010