2nd degree tear and lots of stitches

I gave birth on Oct 24th and have a second degree tear. I also have bronchitis so the coughing is really irritating my stitches. They're swollen and I can't sit. My doc said to try a sitz bath but that doesn't help much. Ice and Motrin help a little. Is there anything else I can try to relieve the pain? I'm just glad they're not too itchy!

nmcg604

Asked by nmcg604 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Soak in the tub, tucks pads
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Did your doctor prescribe you Epifoam? I got that and it pretty much did away with irritation with my stitches.
    sdms

Answer by sdms at 3:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• When I had my daughter, she was too big and almost had to have and emergency c-section. On top of that she came out with her hand first and I tore to no end! I was in the hospital for 6 days because I couldn't walk. When I went in for my checkup my doctor offered to cut the knots on my stitches because they were so painful! Trust me I was scared of being deformed down there or something but it is just fine. I would just see if they can do that for you...sitz baths and tucks pads did not help me. GL!
    Anonymous

• Epifoam is wonderful stuff!
    RNMOMO4

Answer by RNMOMO4 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• yeah epifoam is probably the best thing
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 4:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had a 3 degree tear with an episyotomy. I lived off of tucks pads for days and days and stool softners. A sitz bath does help, then pat dry and put on the tucks pads. Get a lot of the tucks pads. And I had to tinkle standing up. And I will not lie pooping the first time was painful but...pardon the pun...after the first time its not too bad. Stool softners, tucks, sitz baths
    So sorry sugar...I do feel your pain
    Huggs to you
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Hon, I had 2 episiotomies with my daughter, PLUS tearing! I went through 3 large jars of tucks, used glycerin suppositories to soften the stool, and did some howling and yowling! Believe me, I don't think I would have made it the first few days without the tucks. Sitz baths are a good idea too, and so is using a large light bulb positioned about 18-20 inches away from your crotch and held off the floor or bedclothes to prevent fire. Only use the light for about 15 minutes twice a day. but the dry heat will help.
    Anonymous

• i havent had my baby yet so i dont know ,i just stopped by here to say congrats on the baby =)
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008