MAKING EARTH A GREENER PLACE

WHAT ARE SOMETHING YOU DO TO MAKE EARTH A LITTLE GREENER?

HomeAlone45

Asked by HomeAlone45 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We compost food scraps, purchase items w/the least amt. of packaging, grow a huge organic veggie garden & put food by for the winter months, recycle glass/plastic/metals, use rain barrels, use re-useable bags for all shopping, use microfiber cloths instead of papertowels, have energy-efficient lightbulbs & updated energy-efficient windows, keep the heat at 66 downstairs & 61 upstairs all winter, use insulated curtains to block cold in winter & heat in summer, clean w/white vinegar/baking soda/lemon juice/tea tree oil/borax/natural soap, make my own laundry soap, use white vinegar for fabric softener, hang dry clothes, sell/freecycle/donate unwanted items, make my own rags from old clothes/towels, cook from scratch, combine car trips to save gas, patronize local farmers for meat/dairy/eggs/fruits/veggies (food doesn't have to travel as far = lower emissions), eat in season (food doesn't travel as far) ~ reduce, reuse & recycle!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• CLOTH DIAPERS!
    unpaper towels
    recycle
    reuse
    repurpose
    Try to use products that are chemical free
    nangel5

Answer by nangel5 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Cloth diapers
    We also just planed mums in the front yard.
    We have our own vegetable garden and cook from scratch as much as possible to cut down on "box" waist from premade meals.
    As soon as the last of our fabric softener is gone, we will be switching to Vinegar as a fabric softener.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Live as simply as possible....reuse, recycle.....shop at yard sales....cook from scratch....buy goods and services and food locally....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• bitch about how the BIL has an OCD and uses paper towels to open the gate and then throws the paper towels on the ground.....how do i make it a better place? make sure his behavior is noticed on facebook but im sure he still wouldnt pick them up on the yard.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I ride the bus and have my own cups when I get coffee or slurpees or sodas and I recycle everything I can.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• oh and i also hang my laundry outside, i cant stand MIL and FIL throw cans and glass out in the woods so ill prolly start recycling...i mean jeez, just cause you live in a farm, doesnt mean you should trash it. Sometimes my kids reuse bath water...i know prolly disgusting for some but its not for them, still better then how BIL uses ALL the hot water for a 30-45 minute shower.....OK i realize i have a story for everything.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I use re-usable bags at the grocery store, turn off lights when I'm not in the room, wash most of my laundry in cold water, and re-purpose things that I can.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Recycle everything
    reuse plastic grocery bags
    we have caulked all windows and doors that are not used or opened
    all of light bulbs are energy efficient, Lights out in any room not in use
    all plants/flowers are churned into the ground soil and all...
    rain water for my plants in and out, I use very little chemical items for cleaning
    food is usually done by scratch... less large food purchases made...
    heat is set at 68 degrees all thru winter... blinds no shades, lets the sun heat the house
    naturally ... with 27 windows it's not hard either...LOL...
    food isn't thrown out it is put in the garbage disposal or if it's a goodie left over our fur babies get it ...
    our wkly trash has gone from 2-3 cans to 1 or 1/2 of a can, nothing is thrown out if it can be reused
    or recycled or donated or given away...
    I do so much on a daily basis and a natural thing to do, I can't think of all that I do, but my dh thinks we
    can
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• conti...
    My dh doesn't think we can't go any Greener... I told watch me...LOL

I use newspaper to wash glass of any kind instead of paper towel also,
    old t-shirts, jeans and other clothing are converted into rags... hang dry all Spring and Summer and
    still doing it now as long as the weather holds up...

lol... like i said it is a natural thing for me to be Green...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010