Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who do I call? I am so tired of my landlord not doing anything about stuff that has been going wrong in my apartment.

My roof has leak for almost 2 yrs now. He got his employees from his business to put on a tin roof(they don't know how to do it since they only build fences). Now half of my roof is leaking instead of just right by my front door. My bathtub drains under my apartment instead of in a cpvc pipe like it is suppose to. It also leaks on the side of my bathtub. I have text my landlord sent him emails, but he just ignores me. My rent is paid in full on the first of every month and I am not behind at all. I would love to move but at the moment can't afford to as my husband went from 50 hrs a week to 10-15 hrs a week. I have been looking for a job, but no luck yet.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Call your city inspectors, HUD or fair housing office. The last two will probably refer you to the first depending on your state and it's guidelines but I know the inspectors will come out check everything, make a list and give him a certain amount of time to fix the problems that are hazardous to you and your family. If the repairs are not met by their deadline he will be fined for each violation and trust me he will get the job done because those fines are very costly. He will only get one extension to complete the repairs then they will have a contractor come out and fix them and charge it to him

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • 1. DOCUMENT everything by mail/letters to your landlord and or his co. This letter MUST include that he is making
    your livable habitat unbearable and that it is considered a "FORCED EVICTION" which is (in most states) against the law.
    2. GIVE him a certain amount of time (such as 30 days) to get the problems completed or you will
    be taking the following steps
    A. Putting ALL rent into an escrow account in your bank (and you MUST do so)
    B. Contacting Legal Aide to start legal process against him (again you MUST do so)
    C. Contact the Health and Welfare Dept in your area to file a formal complaint against him and his co.
    IF your landlord complies to your request, get EVERYTHING from him in writing that the work is complete
    and if you start to have another problem take the following steps again against him... he has a legal obligation
    to maintain ALL properties that he owns and keep them a livable order.
    This is my Dh's job...

    Answer by gmasboy at 3:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • Under Federal Fair Housing, I believe you can call your local HUD office. That's what they do.

    Answer by m-avi at 2:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • I am having the same problem with my landlord. I am actually calling the health department and have them look at it. If they don't see he isn't doing anything the landlord an be fined and have to find you a place and pay for it.

    Answer by jamesmomma10 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • You need to look at your lease and see what it says to do if there is a problem at your place. It probably does not say text or emial. I would guess it says to notify in writing at a specific address. The things you are mentioning are not only annoying to you but can cause major damage to the structure of the apartment. Bring this to his attention in your letter.
    Usually by law, you must continue to pay rent. If he does not respond in a couple of days, make it a point to see him in person. If you can take pictures of the damage with you, that would be good. Ask for a commitment. Go at it in a nice way and hopefully he will be able to take care of it for you.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 2:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • tootoobusy, it does not say anything in the lease. I have talked to him about this almost every single day in person, through email. My lease expired back in 2004. I have lived here since 2002. There has been NO NEW lease set up.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

  • Contact the city.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010