How do you get and stay focased

I soooooo badly want to lose 100pounds. I hate the way I look and feel. My body is sore all the time. I have bone spurs in my lower spin and bad knees. Neither because of my weight. My weight just adds to the pain already there. I never sleep through the night and I am sure if Iwere to lose some of this weight then I just might be able to sleep.

I enjoy working out if someone is there to keep me moving. I work full time, I have two kids (a 10 yr old a a 1.5 yr old) and I go to school at night. I just feel like there is no time and I am always tired.

Any suggestions?

TLW514

Asked by TLW514 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Loosing weight is very mental. You are right. Focus is important. What is important to you? Why do you want to lose wieght? Think about your kids and husband. You want to be around for them and live as long and healthy as you can. Teach them by being an example to them. Make workouts fun. Change one thing at a time. No scales! How do you feel after you work out? That is what helped me. GL!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Sometimes it helps to cut out just 10-20 minutes for exercise. It may not seem like much, but it can make a BIG difference. After you are done eating your lunch, take a five to ten minute walk. Not only do you get a little exercise, but you also improve your digestion by this small amount of movement.
    Get up a little earlier (it will seem like WAY too much when you first start, but not after a routine is established) and exercise for about 20 minutes. You'll have more energy throughout the day and give your metabolism a great boost.
    Find exercises that you can easily do at your desk (if you have one at work, or the one you have to sit in at school).
    If you work at a desk, get a Yoga ball to sit on instead of a chair. You can do small amounts of exercise throughout the day, and you'll be strengthening your core the ENTIRE time because you will have to maintain your balance.
    Most importantly, find a way to treat yourself cont.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• for every milestone that you make. And make sure you aren't using food as a reward.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Have you tried any DVDs? There is one by Jillian Michaels called 30 Day Shred- it's a 20 minute work-out. All you need is a pair of weights. I did it in the mornings before my 2 little ones woke up. Then I hurt my ankle and had to stop. :(
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 2:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• You have to want it just for you think of it as a shower or air and make it apart of your life.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• A lot of it is definitely mental. Do you have a Nintendo Wii? I know the whole thing may be expensive, but the benefits are SO worth it. Pick up a Wii, as well as the Wii Fit Plus and balance board. I'd also pick up enough Wii remotes for the whole family and make it a game night once a week. We have the Wii Fit Plus and a bunch of party games. It's a lot of fun and you burn more than you thought. You wake up the next day aware of muscles you had no idea were there! But, again, it's so worth it.

Also start drinking water (fill a 64 ounce, Oceanspray juice bottle) and eat more veggies. Veggies are awesome foods because your body burns more calories to digest them than are actually in the veggie.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Hi TLW514!
    Funny that you write this, because some weeks ago I felt exactly the same. I just didn't know where to start. "Always tired" sounds very familiar to me. The advice from my own experience I can give you is: Just start. Everytime you do a little bit is better than nothing. And even though I take a lot of me-time now (at least an hour of exercise evry 2 days) and nnot everything that should be done gets done ... I feel so much better! And handle things differently. Like the 1st answer said, a lot is mental.
    I sleep less hours, but the quality of my night rest has inproved sooo much. After broken nights, nightsweat, beeing bloated, up to having nightmares, I sleep like a baby now.
    That's not really an answer how to stay focused, but I hope it encourages you. You can mail me. Like to know how you're getting on.
    P.S. need to loose 20 - 30 pounds.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If you enjoy working out with other people there then get a group of friends together on a few nights a week.
    You could also join a gym.

I agree with PinkDragon - You have to want this for yourself only, just for you. That's what it sounds like, so that's a great start. You have to make it apart of your lifestyle, just like Karate class for the kids for example. Write it on the calander and put it on there for 20-30 minutes a day. Even if you're tired just get up and go at it. Nothing is going to change if you don't make it change, so remember that. Plus.. Think of how much better you would feel when you're able to run around with the kids in the summer.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Take a PE class at school or weight lifting, that might help motivate you. Personally I am the same way, since I am a member of the YMCA, I took the personal training class. Since I am paying for it and I have a group to work out with I go. Now after 6 weeks, I am finding it easier to go to some Aquatic Aerobics classer as well. The little old ladies are so sweet and really motivate me, if they can do, I sure as hell should.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I know this sounds strange but meditation could help. If you are relaxed you will have more energy and then be motivated to walk and we know then you will loose weight
    Bubbles120

Answer by Bubbles120 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010