When should i have my son put into a troddler bed?

My son 1 1/2 years old and he woke up his dad and I up by climbing out of his crib.

jamesmomma10

Asked by jamesmomma10 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep sounds like time for a toddler bed.
    If that is already at its lowest level of hight, the i suggest putting him in a toddler one so he doesnt get hurt. And if he can already get out of the crib, then theres not big diff from the bed to crib.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We put dd in a toddler bed when she was just under a year. She was ready for it, so we did. We used a baby gate to keep her in her room at night. After about a month, she went to bed like she was suppose to without any hassle (and without falling asleep on the floor).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I put my son in a toddler bed as soon as he could get out of his crib, he was almost 2.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• okay thanks for all the advice.
    jamesmomma10

Comment by jamesmomma10 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Just the fact that he climbed out of his bed becomes a safety concern. Once a child does that they could go wandering all over the house at night. You may want to get a pressure gate and put it on his bedroom door to avoid more problems! Since he's a climber, you could get two gates and "stack" them to make it like one big "screen" door on his room. He will definitely cry when he sees the gates on his door, but when you consider what he could get into wile you're sleeping, the crying becomes minor. I give this advice to all of the parents that I work with that have the same issue. It works! Like I said, expect some tears for a few days, but that will be over with and you can all sleep soundly and feel safe at the same time!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yesterday.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Two words for you---Crib tent!! They are mesh and safe. I will NEVER move a child younger than 2 into a toddler bed again! It was a nightmare for us when we moved our oldest to a toddler bed at 18 months, she wouldnt go to sleep, we would have to sit in there til she fell asleep which would be HOURS i lost all of my evening...she would wake up and night walking into our room id try to put her back to sleep but then 20 minuets later her she came again...i was working early in the mornings so i couldnt play that game with her...id cave and let her sleep with us. it wasn't until 3 1/2 that she actually started sleeping in her bed and behaving as expected...so now with our 2nd dd no way, i am waiting for as long as possible to move her to her toddler bed.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We moved one at 18 months and the other at 14 months. Have never had an issue, we put up a baby gate in the door so they cant wander during the night.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I did it at two, I would say keep them in the crib until they can follow simple directions or you can't keep them in the crib.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010