When do you start teaching a child to write?

My SO has a 3yo DD and she does not know how to write anything. At what age do you usually begin teaching a child to write?

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest was about 3 when she asked how to make letters. So I starting teaching her how to write her letters. We progressed from there. My youngest is 2.5 she likes to try making letters with a pen. I figure in the next few months I will start working with her, with tracing and finger paint and sand lettering. Making it fun.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My dd is four and just now learning how to write. The beginning (or pre-cursor) is usually allowing them to color so they can learn how to hold the pencil, crayon, marker, etc. They have to learn how to control the utensils before they can learn to write.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• They start scribbling at 1 and just keep progressing. They should know how to do their name by 4 and half. I am not saying that you would really recognize it as their name. But they can hold the crayon or pencil.
    If the three year old is in preschool she/he will probably will learn the basics this year.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My DD will be 3 in January and she knows how to "write" a circle and a triangle. She can also make a K which is what her name starts with. If you write a word she can copy it, but K, circle, and triangle are the only things she knows how to make from memory. She really got interested in learning to write during the summer on a 12 hour road trip. We bought her a magni-doodle and it is really easy for them to right with it. It shows up really well even if they havn't learned to press hard yet.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Since he was about 18 months old, I've given my youngest those huge crayons and he scribbles on paper. He is starting to draw things now (2.5), but I won't teach him how to actually write anything until he is around three. Right now, it's more about holding the crayon.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 in a few weeks and can only scribble. I wouldn't worry about it yet unless your child seems advanced and really interested. I started with my son at 4 and he wasn't ready. He liked pre-writing things though like easy maze books and connect the dot things. He just turned 5 and can write some but it's still a struggle.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I put a crayon in her hand a little before a year, then at 18 months she could hold a pencil/crayon great...now at 3 she is just starting to write letters....My son who is 18 months still does not know how to hold it properly, he refuses to let me try and teach him haha...its not something I will push. when he's ready, he'll let me know!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's never too late to start! ...we started with just scribbling, then circles, then faces & now she is just starting the letters in her name.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• most kids can't "write" at that age...i'm not sure what you r referring too...kids should be able to scribble, draw a circle and maybe trace..if your child is doing more that is great but its above average
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I taught my son write and spell his name at 3 years. He can now write all his letters, recognize his letters and numbers. We are starting small words now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010