My husband and i are trying to concieve. But its hard with me having diabetes. Anyone have advice about how go?

My son was a blessing when i got pregnant and i had juss had my second miscarriage. We need help on how to go if we should try to concieve or to go for adoption.

jamesmomma10

Asked by jamesmomma10 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• As long as your diabetes is under control that shouldn't stop or prevent you. I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic a little over 7 years ago and since i've had two completely healthy pregnancies and babies. If you are a type 2, metformin can even increase fertility....many women with PCOS trying to conveive are prescribed it.

But it's important to have good control (my A1c was in the 5.1-5.7 range throughout both my pregnancies) and see your doctor regularly. I stayed on my metformin and glyburide but I also took 5-8 units of insulin in the last few months to help with my after dinner readings.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I was took off of metaformin and was just on insulin. My son was a very healthy baby. he was a 10 lb 6 oz baby
    jamesmomma10

Comment by jamesmomma10 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Well the metformin can help with TTC and it can work well WITH insulin because it's purpose is to help our bodies use the insulin we produce or have in our bodies. So, it could'nt hurt to be on it. I took it through both my pregnancies and my kids were 6lbs 14oz and 6lbs 10oz at birth. My daughter did have slight low blood sugar issues at birth but it was nothing that havig some formula didn't cure....I was advised to NOT breastfeed because the drugs made my bg levels too low to get hers up.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010