My brother's on a drug bender...help?

My brother texts me telling me that he had some traffic tickets to pay off, and could he borrow some money? I sent him $100 via Western Union. I found out later from my sister that he has been missing for days! Apparently, he is using drugs and is on a "bender". I had no idea he was on drugs, otherwise I would have never sent the money.

I don't care about the money. I'm upset that my brother is using again. He has custody of his 13 yr old daughter, and leaves her with my sister all the time. He stole my sister's laptop, her son's Nintendo system, etc. Before our mom passed away, he would steal from her purse.

I don't know what to do. They live 2600 miles from me. My brother and I aren't close, so I don't feel comfortable confronting him. I don't think anyone other than my sister and our favorite uncle knows about his drug problem.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• First, don't send him any more money. Second, until he decides to get clean himself, nothing you can say or do is going to change him. Just let him know you love him and want him to clean up, but pushing him won't do any good.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• For one, obviously no more money for him. And good for you to not send it now that you know. Number 2, your sister should step up I guess, at least for the 13 yr olds sake. She is 13 and knows plenty well enough what is going on at this point. Kids even younger than that know what's going on, so that really sucks for the daughter. Even if it means your sister talking to a lawyer, start documenting everything and if it means getting legal custody of the teen then so be it. He needs to get his act together, which is way easier said than done.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Until he hits rock bottom and reaches out for help it can only be then you can help him.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• what is he using????and whether your close nor not he's your brother and he feels close enough to you to ask for $100.00. Next time he calls you talk to him and he will call again, probably soon seeing you gave him money he's gonna try to ask you for more...Don't give it to him!!!!

angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• what is he using????

******************

I think he's on meth
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010