What do you think of the expression "god fearing people"?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's an old term and very quaint.....it refers to people who live their lives a certain way.....family, church, community.....small town....etc...... and in this case the word fear doesn't mean afraid......God -fearing is an old term referring to a healthy respect and affection like you would have toward a strong Father....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I tend to equate "God Fearing" with "Brainwashed" instead of someone who has an actual relationship with their God...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Depends on how it is used'.... biblically it means to be in AWE and give Reverance to.

It is a HIGH level of respect and honor.
    Here is a list of God fearing people
    Moses, David, Daniel, Abraham, Noah, Jacob, Isaac...the list goes on.
    It means they had high respect and honor toward the God they served. Did they sin yes but that doesnt mean they did not have awe or reverence. It means they forgot who they were and looked away for that moment in time. The key was they turned their eyes upon Him and repented, their hearts were sincere and they gave honor to whom it was due.. God the Father.
    Most of the responses here are confusing fear and reverent fear. God fearing people is reverent fear. They Love God SOOO much they are in AWE of Who He is and what He has done in their lives and will do as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it signifies elitism, since the usual context is to suggest the people in that group are better human beings than everyone else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think " I don't fear God.. But hey if someone else does, not my issue".

That's about it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it applies to some, they live their lives doing (or not doing) things because they are scared of God's retaliation against them. It's kind of sad, I think.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• "God fearing" people seem to be the ones who do not have a relationship with their God. They are the ones who say they believe "just in case" or "just to be safe". That is not faith, that is fear. ANY God will see the difference.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Personally, my God is not a god to be fearful of - He is loving and forgiving but you have to let Him into your heart. I prefer the term "respect" over fear.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• a good book The Fear of the Lord by John Bevere... amazing insight in this kind of reverent fear!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't like it. I'll never use it.

Amlinich

Answer by Amlinich at 4:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2010