Should the Church have the athority to govern people's civil lives as well as their spiritual lives?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Lives of its members or lives of everyone whether they attend or not? In the case of governing everyone, absolutely not. In the case of members who choose to join the religion, that's a grayer area - if the rules of your faith say you should marry before you have kids, should the church be allowed to refuse you membership if you refuse to marry the father of the child? Absolutely. At the other extreme - if a congregation has committed itself to inclusion and diversity, and discovers a parishioner is also a klan member, they should have the right to excommunicate that parishioner without question, even though their right to free speech protects their membership. At the end of it - nobody is forced at gunpoint to be a member of a church. If they don't like its rules they are always free to leave. (and if they say they don't like the rules but still won't leave, that says more about them than their words).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• My personal view.

No.. Mainly due to the fact that not everyone is a Christian.. I am not a Christian, I was raised Hindu, why should the Christian Church govern what goes on in areas of my life.. Same for my husband, son and the rest of our families. Our families are a mix of Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims and Buddhist.. None of us are Christian, therefore the Christian Church has no place in governing our lives in regards to our social/privat/etc lives.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No... why? bc not everyone is a Christian and not ALL Christians practice the same way either...
    No One Church should be allowed to dictate the lives of all ppl when all ppl are not the same.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nope but their congregations give it to them anyway.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't think the church should govern either. I think we should be able to choose how to live our own life in any aspect.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The church I go to does not govern my spiritual life and no they should not govern my personal life either.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No I don't think churchs have the right to govern civil lives. However it's a problem because the church is really the people and it's people who have the right to vote. It's hard to separate persons personal beliefs at the voting box, it's who they are and they have a right to vote for whoever represents them best. The people with the power are those who belong to groups that can be counted on to vote in large numbers on election day.

I'm a person you likes freedom and I think people should be as free as possible without infringing on others so I don't agree with some of the morality laws, but laws against murder could also be considered morality laws.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• You mean should they have the right to govern the members of its congregation, right? And not that they should have the right to govern all people? Certainly, the church does not have the right or the authority to dictate to all citizens. If the congregation gives the church the authority to tell them what they can and can't do, then I suppose they can give it a shot. However, if the church tells the congregation to ignore secular law, or to break secular law. . . then, no. They don't have that kind of authority, even if the congregation thinks they can give it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No, I think that the church should have no authority over my civil life. Because that it what it is my life.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Ohhhh hell no...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010