Is this what parenting is all about?

Sadly I miscarried my twins, therefor I do not have living children of my own. My so has three children, ages 3, 11, and 12. The 2 older ones are both boys and they fight constantly. The bicker/complain/back talk about doing any chores yet they want allowance. I have to say since I have came into the picture they have had more responsibility/consequences than in the past 3 years. Is parenting really all about a power struggle? Suggestions to get things flowing smoother is always appreciated.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes there will be time when they fight and as they get older, it will be more often. but being a parent is more about the small moments when they say something or do something that just makes u stop and smile. try and remember those moments the next time they are fighting and approach the situation calmly. i've noticed the more frustrated i get, the more they act out. good luck and srry for ur loss.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes. This is what siblings are all about. The key is to have control over the situation. You have to start from day one, unfortunately. Consistent, firm, discipline is the key to an organized,well controlled environment. It's quite normal for children to feel that they have to fight for their place in the family- I was a middle child, so this is very normal for them. But overall, kids will complain, it's part of their nature.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yep. Sadly it is LOL
    In Walmart the other day my 2 yr old was having a classic tantrum. In line a guy behind me says, The tantrums don't stop, they just learn bigger and meaner words to take place of the head banging and screaming. I laughed and said...Sadly I know. We both agreed then your children don't grow up and even become decent adults until into their 20s LOL Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Thank you at least I know I am not alone sometimes I wonder if this is what all families are like. I grew up in a huge family (10 kids) and we were never allowed to back talk. That's the real biggie for me.
    gratefulangel77

Comment by gratefulangel77 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• So many people think BABIES...sweet cute BABIES...but they turn into kids and when they become teenagers you wonder what you were thinking by having kids in the first place....sure it is rewarding but from 12 on up it is a headache even if they are the only child
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2010