Will I have enough milk?

Ok so my milk supply has gone down and my babygirl is only two weeks old so I nurse her about 15 mins on each side and than I pump for 15 mins. Well sometimes right after I pump she wants to try an eat again. My question is will i have enough milk for her right after I pump?

JessieW22

Asked by JessieW22 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't limit her to 15 minutes on each side - let her go on one side for as long as she wants, then if she wants more switch sides, then pump - but don't take her off either side before she lets go on her own. THEN pump. Then if she's hungry again, yes, put her back to the breast - it's the signal your body needs to make more!
    Anonymous

• Thank you! That actually makes a whole lotta sense :)
    JessieW22

Comment by JessieW22 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Milk is made while you nurse, so yes. You will not run out. What is making you think you have a low supply in the first place? Likely, everything is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I have a 3 month old, and this is my first time BFing but, I was told that you make Milk while you nurse. I have had to nurse DD right after I've gotten done pumping, and she got enough milk. I was also told to NOT limit the time the baby nurses, wait for her to tell you ( turning her head away, pushing the nipple out etc.)
    connorsmommy120

Answer by connorsmommy120 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• So what if the doc says feed her every 2 to 3 hours and she feeds for 45 mins I wake her up in an hour to feed her again? An i think its low because I used to get a lot more from pumping an now I barely get any milk.
    JessieW22

Comment by JessieW22 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• You can also pump one side, while she nurses on the other side.

This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• "So what if the doc says feed her every 2 to 3 hours and she feeds for 45 mins I wake her up in an hour to feed her again? An i think its low because I used to get a lot more from pumping an now I barely get any milk." -- this is not great advice. Feed her when she is hungry; keep in mind that the breast is for comfort, as well as nutrition. Non-nutritive sucking is very important. And don't wake a sleeping baby...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• What you pump will tell you one thing: how much you are able to pump. I would EBF, on demand, and if I were changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, I would not worry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Short story: The day my first son was born the nurses told us he'd eat every 2-3 hours. After everyone went to bed he decided he wanted to cry every 45 minutes. I said he was hungry and DH said "the nurse said every 2-3 hours!!!". Guess who was right? I was. He nursed every 45 min for at least 3 months.

Every baby is different and the more you nurse the more milk you will make. Nursing every 3 hours and then saying "I'm not making enough milk!" is like expecting your body to win the world series without ever having swung a bat.

Just nurse. No bottles. No pumping. JUST NURSE. That's your only job at the moment.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:04 AM on Oct. 24, 2010