How on earth can I get my puppy to stop poosping in the house?!?!

I am ready to loose it on her, she is really good about peeing outside (99% of the time she makes it out) But she is constantly pooping in the house. In my kids room mostly. I swear she does it at least as much in the house as she does outside, maybe even more. It is getting so darn frustrating. I let her out at least once an hour, and a lot of times it will be within ten minutes of when she comes back inside. It is truelly making me crazy. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Oh and she is about 5 months old now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The only sure way is to keep her outside or get rid of her. Otherwise, you take the chance of having it happen in your house.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I dont mind having it happen in my house now and then, but its happening more then once a day, she was fully trained for a little while and now its starting again. Im asking how I can train her better to get it outside, or get her to let me know when she needs to go.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Put a puppy pad down where it is going and every 2 days move it closer to the door. Then finally put it in the grass and eventually stop putting it down.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• crate train her....take the dog out within fifteen minutes of feeding, first thing in the morning, after sleep, after play.....close the doors to keep her out of rooms that you are not in...watch her, if you dont have time or need to leave put her in the crate, you may also want her to sleep in the crate......also clean the area well that she has pooped on....they make enzyme cleaners for this problem.....just step up your training!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I agree with the crate idea. We have a run set up in the basement(almost 6' x 12') that our dog loves to go in. That part of the basement is unfinished, so it is on a plain concrete floor. We did get a cheap indoor-outdoor area rug for him to lay on and a fleece dog bed. But since we don't care about the rug or have to worry about the floor it is tolerable.
    When he does go, clean well because once the smell is there she will keep going in the same area, her thinking since the smell is there, so that is where to go.
    As far as her letting her tell you when she needs to go out, put a string with a bell or two on it next to the door at her height. Every time you take her out, ring the bell. She will learn that when the bell rings the door opens to go out and eventually start to ring it herself. You can also keep an eye on her clues to go out.
    Good luck. I hope some of this helps.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 11:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I forgot to ad that he is getting older and is starting to have accidents again.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 11:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• NannyB, that was the worst advice I have ever seen anyone offer ever. Dump the dog outside or dump it on someone else...God I hope you don't have any animals.

I agree with those who said try the crate training. But, remember to not put her in the crate to punish her. A crate is supposed to be where the dog can go if she feels overwhelmed, or just wants to sleep. Take her out and then say something like go pee, time to potty or whatever. Then, wait, and wait and wait until she goes. When she does...dance, yell, scream whoo hoo her all over the place. Make lots of happy noises.

If she doesn't go, come back inside, put her in her kennel and wait 15 mins and try again.
    con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• To let you know when she wants out you can install a bell near the door and teach her to ring it. She will learn to touch it with her nose and that means she wants out. When you are at the door, say touch and then have her touch the bell with her nose.

Training any dog takes consistency...especially with a puppy.

You also mention this is a new behaviour. Have her checked at a vet for a bladder/kidney/uti. Dogs who are reliably trained usually won't regress. She might have a medical problem..Has anything changed lately?
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have a similar problem with my 8 month old puppy... She goes out all day long and at night poops and pees on the floor. From what I have learned is if it is not cleaned properly they still smell it and get the idea to go there again. Depending on what kind of flooring you have that is. Carpet, wood and concrete are odor absorbing surfaces so general or antiseptic cleaner do not get rid of the underlying odor. Try letting white vinegar sit on the spot for an hour or two then mop it up or dab it dry. The vinegar also acts as a natural repellent to stop the dog from going there again! If I keep up with this routine it normally works for me. The cage thing does not work for us my puppy is extremely vocal! Also try closing the bedroom door during the day and misting vinegar around the door.

Latrisha
    www.internetceomoms.com/Latrisha
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010