Anyone remember those old metal cups from the 70's or 80's?

My hubby is very fond of them and recently someone found some for him, I'm sure at a garage sale or something... or it was just in his family that long, but now they're ours... but it always seems weird to me... why don't they make them anymore? Was there something dangerous that came about from drinking from a metal cup? I don't know what kind of metal... tin? Aluminum? But they're all sorts of fun metallic colors. I just don't know if my hubby should be giving my daughter water out of them - it sure keeps it COLD!! He's trying to create the same fond memories for her that he had growing up...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Health

• I would think it's the same as drinking beer from those metal bottles - but they seem coated with a plastic on the inside or something... these cups do not.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• You can still buy them new, it's just that these days they're a lot more expensive. I looked for them when DS was first starting to switch out of sippy cups and iirc it was something like $40 for a set of 6. (and they are aluminum)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• $40!?!? Sheesh!! I was just wondering if they took them off the market a long time ago because people were ingesting strange metals & getting sick.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• That was my grandmothers favorite cup to drink from. She lived to 92! You should search the internet to find out the safety of those metal cups from the "old days" just to feel safe for your kids sake. I believe those cups were made of aluminum and I believe there are issues with aluminum these days. You can probably purchase copy cat metal cups today that should be safe for sure.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 4:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We had those and I loved them. (they did keep the milk nice and cold)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Metal cups that old could contain any number of bad things - lead, aluminum, etc. I understand wanting to relive old memories, but you need to make him quit letting your child drink out of them immediately, and he really should quit too. Put them up for decoration and buy stainless cups - they're safe!
    Anonymous

• That's kind of how I feel, Anonymous... I think I'll do some further research into this...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010