It use to be

that young people lived with their family until they married and had a new family to move in with.
Now, everyone pushes young people to leave home and they end up moving in with someone. I wonder is there would be less living togethers if everyone wasn't pushing them out of their homes.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't know the answer to that, as I believe there are probably multiple contributors to the rise of co-habitation in the last few decades. But my husband and I have already discussed how, as long as our daughters are not out of control or taking advantage of us, we will allow them to stay in our home for as long as they need to. I don't think I will be in any rush for my babies to fly the nest.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would never push my kids out, they can stay as long as they want or leave when they are ready! I agree with you!

Answer by older at 6:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids are my kids all of their lives, they are welcome anytime. My daughter stayed until after HS she roomed with a GF. She moved home a year later and stayed until she married. My son joined the Military and my youngest just moved back in. He just turned 30, he got divorced and came home for awhile.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 7:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think its okay to live at home until your ready but my son is going into the Marines and my other son was ready to go so they are able to make up their own mind.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• my parents didn't force me out, in the literal sense anyway. my mom and i just do not get along when we live together. i had to get out because it was going to ruin our relationship with our constant arguing. i moved out the summer i turned 18 and didn't waste any time. my mom and i get along great now, because we value the time we do spend together.
    Anonymous

• The last thing I want is my kid living with me until she's 30+ years old. If she wants to cohabitate with someone when she's an adult, I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather she live with some "not THE ONE"s than that she marry one of them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I moved out at 18 bc I was tired of life at home, got a house with fiance, had baby, raised his previous children, broke up, moved back home, got married, moved back out, lived with my inlaws for a few months, got our townhouse, moved to an apartment, moved back in with my parents and are still here bc the economy went to shit and we both lost our jobs.....it is what it is, I think there is alot of pressure to grow up sooner than what was once the norm. Its different everywhere.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My children are always welcome at home .Any age.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I have a 22 yr old daughter and she still lives with me. I think that parents should let them save money until they are able to move out on their own. I would hate to think that there are parents who would kick their child out of their home just because they are 18. That's just not right.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I sure don't want to push my boys out, but I think often young people want to be on their own and don't want to have to follow someone else's rules anymore.

As for living together, I'd rather they didn't do that too young, but I'm okay with that. I'd prefer they were married before they had children, but I don't think it's a bad thing to live together and be sure that you really like living together.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010