HELP! my 5 yr old wants my husband or I to lay w/ her until she falls asleep, but then ALWAYS comes in our room during the middle of the night. she screams, whines and never lets up till we give in! plus all our neighbors hear EVERYTHING! can anyone help?

Asked by oliveoyl214 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• our son tried that with us too, and the only thing we could do is be stern and keep a schedule...
    His bedtime is 9:30 in the summer.. so at 8:45 we warn him he has 5 minutes to play... at 8:50 we take a bath.. at 9:00 we get in jammies and snuggle up on the bed or the couch.. and turn lights down/off. We read one book.. and then its in bed. I will sit with him for a few minutes and talk about his day, or read another book.. but at 9:30 I leave the room no questions asked. He has a clock in his room so he can see what time it is, and I say "its 9:30, mommy is going to bed now and you need to go to bed too."
    If he tries to come in our room at night, we make him go back in his room.. calm him down.. and then leave. He may scream and throw a fit but if we give in he does it for 2 more weeks straight instead of just one or two nights. Basically, we have a "no bull" policy now.. we don't give in, its been working wonders!

hope that helps.. good luck

Answer by LuminousMom at 4:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You said the key words, "till we give in!" That's  why she screams and whines, because she knows you'll cave. She knows how to get what she wants! I agree, you have to get a schedule. If you have one get stern about it. Do special time or cuddling and then it's bed time, no questions asked. It'll be crazy for the first week because she'll think you're going to cave so she'll really throw a tantrum if you don't, but once she sees you are serious things will calm down.  My son still comes into our room sometimes, we just send him back to his bed. He never screamed. He would cry....which was sad, but he learned his bed was for him and our bed was for us. He doesn't cry anymore and things have been great! About neighbors hearing, if they have kids they should understand and if you curb this problem now then they only have to hear for a few more days. Hope this helps....Good luck!

Answer by Twest3 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008