what would you do?

my 5 year old stole some pokemon cards from the grocery store today. He is not home, and that is probably for the best because I would very likely over react. my son will be home late, and i am thinking tonight (he will be very tired) may not be the best time to deal with it. when would you deal with it, and what would you say and do?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some of the best ways I have seen this handled is when the parent calls the store manager first. Call the manager, explain that your son stole the cards, tell him that you are bringing him in to apologize and to pay for the cards. This way the manager has warning about what will be happening and can act appropriately in front of your son. Your son will learn the lesson that he can't just take things that don't belong to him without being overly traumatized by a manager over reacting to the situation. The manager will appreciate your honesty as well.
    Now that the cards are opened you definitely should make him pay for them. If he has already traded some of the cards, as punishment I would take ALL of his cards away from him for a week or two. Then return them to him after that time if his behavior warrants their return.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You should wait til in the morning. Let him wake up and while he is eating his breakfast let him know it was wrong because when you take something that doesnt belong to you without paying for it, that mans someone else has to pay for it and that it is bad. Then make him get the cards, take them back to the store, and explain to the store manager or customer services why he took them and make him apologize. That should be punishment enough.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• make him take them back to the store.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would wait until he is rested and calmly discuss it. Make absloutely sure you know he was stealing. I would make him return the cards and take away some privilege or favorite toy/game for an appropriate period of time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i will wait till morning. i think he should pay for the cards, but they have already been opened and i really don't know if the store will take them back. i kind of think that they should go in the garbage, if he hasn't already traded them.
    i am so bummed.
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes, since they are opened have him pay for the cards. Be on his "side" when you go to the store so he knows he has support. Tough lesson for him.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would just take him in the store explain what he did by himself without ur help ask for a manager to help you then make him pay for the cards I'm sure they can get another pkg. and ring it up then when you get home take them away and throw them away he'll never do that again he'll be too embarrassed
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'd have him take them back and explain his behavior to the store manager, no - they won't take them back if they've been opened, so i'd have him pay for them from his own money and then, as we don't get to benefit from stealing, I'd have him tear them up and throw them away. And No, I don't believe that's punishment enough. I'd also have him on restriction from toys, games, favorite activities for the week - this is a pretty serious offense.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• first thing in the morning and make him take it back with an apoligy letter.
    tinker16233

Answer by tinker16233 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• i think slw123 had a great answer to ur question
    mg25

Answer by mg25 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010