runny/stuffy nose in a newborn...Help please!

My 12 day old son has a runny/stuffy nose. I really don't know how to explain it except when he tries to breathe through his nose he kind of chokes, like he can't catch his breath. We've been suctioning his nose continuously, but it seems like we just can't get all of the mucus! :( He has an appointment monday morning, but we can't even sleep because we're so worried that he's not going to be able to breathe! So, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A little breastmilk or saline solution in his nose, let it sit for a few minutes and then suck it out. It softens the mucus so it's easy to get all of it, and breastmilk has the added benefit of having antibodies specifically for the infection he is fighting RIGHT NOW being applied directly where they need to go.

Works wonders for my kids.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My daughter got a cold at 10 days old...it was AWFUL!! I slept sitting up with her on my chest for a week. I got those shower soother things, they are menthol type tablets you put under running shower water. I'd throw on in the shower, turn it on screaming hot and sit in the bath room with her for 30 or 45 minutes. That seemed to help. Saline solution helps too. There's not much even the drs can do for a 12 day old baby with a cold. Oh, and get the Vicks Baby rud, and put it on his feet. Breast milk helps too like the PP said.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If you have a bulb that sucks mucus out use that every ounce in a while and give him some breast milk or formula and just wait it out also what you can do is take a garlic gel capsule and stick the end with a needle and squees a drop on your finger or in the bottle and that will help him feel better
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I used to use a Nose Frida. The website is www.nosefrida.com. Works so much better than a ball syringe! Whole Foods sells them or any natural type of food store.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i used the saline solution called little noses sprayed 2 spays in each nostril then wait 2 min then suctioned it out. Hope this helps.
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Suctioning the nose too often can cause the nasal passages to swell, making it sound like there's snot still in there when it's not. Babies frequently get a little stuffy after a few days because they're having to breathe in air and filter out the crud, just like any other human - only difference is they can't blow out the crud. Quit suctioning so often - keep baby propped up, use a humidifier (make sure it's not musty or moldy or anything, if it's not new).
    Anonymous

• I had to bring my 3 month old in yesterday for the same problem, the DR told me to use saline drops. Also, to use a cool mist vaporizer and have her sleep sort of reclined.

I hope your little one feels better soon.
    connorsmommy120

Answer by connorsmommy120 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010