So I'm dried up, what do I do now?

4 months old. She nurses for 10 min then pulls away because nothing else is coming out. We switch to other side. She nurses for 10 min then pulls away because that one is empty too. Still unsatisfied so shes cries her heart out. What do I do now? Formula, but thats not helping supply. CIO maybe?

I have some milk. I hear her swallowing the 1st few minutes. But then nothing. She even gives good burps afterwards. But she is still hungry. You will ask, "how do you know supply is low?" I will say:

--fussy baby after feeding **main one
--i don't feel let downs anymore
--breasts don't get full anymore
--it just doesn't feel the same like it did in the early weeks when nursing was great.
--wet diaper count isn't a good indicater because I have to give in and give her a bottle once every 2 days.

I'll admit, I have been exercising and dieting but that's because I've been steadly gaining weight since I had her, no kidding

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep offering her the breast. What I used to do with my son, when he was smaller/younger, is breast feed on one breast until he stopped, because once the flow would slow down he wouldnt suck anymore. Then burp him. Then switch him to the other breast. He nursed 10min a session literally because he would drink so fast.

if you are worried about low supply some tips are
    FENUGREEK.....herbal capsule, organic, take 2pills 3times a day and you will feel a difference.
    drink more water, if you are dietingit shouldnt impare that
    also...eat protein before you feed her, protein also helps supply

and another tip I hear from other moms I know is oatmeal and hops aka beer but just one
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• ok according to docs you have to eat at least 1800 capillaries a day you have to drink tons of water. and keep taking prenatal my milk supply increased dramatically when I started taking them again make sure and put her on every hour on the hour whether she is hungry or not that will stimulate the breast and cause milk production. also I read some where that you shouldn't loose more than one pound a week so in you diet make sure you have at least 1800 calories and keep the exercising down to a min. oh and if you want you can pump every hour instead of putting her on that helps too. GL
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Oh - and you can't say you're dried up if you can hear her gulping & swallowing - if you were dry she'd be getting absolutely nothing at any feeding. Pumping between nursings also helps build up supply.
    Anonymous

• she could also be going through a growth spurt she will be hungry more often and you will feel dried up but your not.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• keep up the good work mama! good job not giving up : )
    when you feel the fullness and the let down, you may be producing more milk than your baby needs. many moms confuse supply meeting demand with drying up.
    crying after the feedings may be odd though. maybe just let your lo suck again, maybe for closeness and maybe to increase the supply. my first child would be on one breast, then the next, and back to the first again for a lot of his feedings.
    eating good food and drinking lots of water is important. i wouldn't be too concerned about dieting and exercising unless you are starving yourself.
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• After a time you're not going to feel let-down anymore - that's not an indicator. 1 bottle of formula every 2 days is not an indicator, 1 bottle in 2 days does not affect diaper count that dramatically - you still need to count the diapers. You only hear her gulp the first few minutes because she's over-hungry and gulping it down - once her little tummy isn't so empty anymore she slows down a bit and isn't so ravenous. She screams when you take her off because she wants back on - latch her back on to the same side when she lets go. You say you've been gaining weight - but if you want to breast feed your baby you can NOT truly diet - you still need somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 extra calories per day to effectively feed her. If you're set on dieting, quit bf and give her all formula and make her happy. Oh - and she could also be screaming because she gulped so fast her tummy hurts - feed at the very first sign she's hung
    Anonymous

• NONE of the indications you gave is a true indication of low supply. They are all normal when you are nursing a 4 month old! She cannot have enough wet diapers based on bottles if you are only giving a bottle every couple of days. You will not just "dry up" unless you are pregnant, started taking an estrogen BC pill or are having a serious problem with your thyroid or pituitary gland. I'm assuming none of that is going on. Unless you are letting yourself get really dehydrated then your diet and exercise is not a problem.
    All you need to do is nurse MORE. If she nurses on both sides and is still hungry, nurse on both sides again. Can you take a "nursing vacation" and do nothing but sit and nurse for 24 hours?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• also, around 3-4mos babies have a growth spurt and tend to nurse more to increase your supply. I think almost every mom feels like their boobs arent making as much as they used to around 3-4mos because, your engorgement has gone away, baby is growth spurting, etc.

you're not dried up what ur experiencing is pretty normal.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Idk if anyone else said it but fenugreek herb works well for bring milk supply up plus goats rue herb help and aids in weightloss
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nothing wrong with nursing and supplementing with formula IF you have to. I know plenty of moms who did that and felt good they were providing the best they could for their little ones.
    Anonymous