is it okay

to give my 3 month old baby water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just water alone?
    IMO I would have to say no.
    They only need formula or breast milk.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes, I was giving my daughter water at that age, her doctor said it was fine but babies need formula more
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• * or breast milk
    mommy_of_two388

• yeah but be very car full and you should boil it first.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No, most docs say wait until 6 months. It can cause seizures.

"In general, it's not a good idea to give your baby water until he's about 6 months old. Until then, he'll get all the hydration he needs from breast milk or formula, even in hot weather. In rare cases, a baby who drinks too much water can develop a condition known as water intoxication, which can cause seizures and even a coma. Water intoxication happens when too much water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the body, upsetting the electrolyte balance and causing tissues to swell."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Wow...I jut got voted down for giving advice that could save a baby's life. Really?! I understand people have different opinions, but that is what I always heard. Here's a link, the advice above was found on Babycenter.com There are lots more out there that give the same advice as my pediatrician.

Giving Babies Water
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't. Your baby needs nutrients everytime she takes in any substance. Water is just not a source of nutrients. Breastmilk is best, if not BFing then you need to buckle down and get some formula.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• no water only breastmilk or formula for 0-6 months
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• YES! It's perfectly safe! People gave babies water from an early age on for thousands of years and there were no fatalities from it... My hospital even provided us with water bottles instead of formula because we were breast feeding, and our peds always encouraged extra water to be given because I would become so dehydrated while nursing and because our babies would become constipated. There is NOTHING dangerous about water! If you are worried about the water quality or what may be in it chemical wise - boil and cool it before you give it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010