Do you let your kids go outside?

Mine are now 7 & 9 yrs. old. ( where did the time go :(...)

Well we never let our kids outside unless they were supervised and now that they are older they want to be outside more and I am not up to it half the time...out of shape I guess.

Anyway my dh left for work and specifically told them not to go outside well I stepped outside for something and there they go following me outside one grabs the football they other wants to play with the dirt omg!

I was like did you already forget what your dad said I know they know dad is not here so let's see how mom acts. I told them to get their little butts inside or they are going to get it, but at the same time I felt bad even though I did not want to get them inside bc I do feel sorry for them but damn with all this heat & mosquitos who wants to be outside. They came in stomping and started to watch TV as I got dinner ready.
Thanks for listening ladies... Just venting...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kids need to be kids...unless you live in a bad neighborhood then just compromise with them...let them go out and have them check in ever 30min...get them an alarm or a watch and set it up...it will give you peace of mind and them the freedom to grow...PICK YOUR BATTLES...or even go and give them an eye ever so often...that way you do not have to be outside and at the same time your teaching them ADDRESSABILITY and giving them space...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 6:05 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Part of being a kid is playing outside.
    Anonymous

• My kids were just outside. They are 3 & 4, they are in a fenced in area and I can hear everything going on... So I don't feel a great need to be out there with them all the time. They love being able to go out and play and I'm surely not going to stop them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I do, all the time. Although, we live in a quiet area, dead end street, everyone can see everyone elses kids playing, so it is safe. But not everyone lives in a safe area, so it all depends on where you live :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I encourage mine to be outside as much as possible, but I have a fenced in backyard so it's not a problem.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids are always outside! We live in an apartment complex with a playground in our backyard. I can see them from the house through the sliding door and I feel completely safe them outside. I think that it for sure depends on where you live and also on your kids.
    willkanmom

Answer by willkanmom at 6:06 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My kids have been playing outside alone since they were about 4. Of course, at that age I would frequently check on them,The way our house is set up it's hard for people to come in our yard with out anyone noticing. (in fact one time when my oldest was about 8 he came un and said that someone was in the yard. It was our neighbor getting her dog's ball) Now, my youngest (10) rides his bike up and down our street on his own. (that he has to ask to do,) When they go outside they just tell us. If they want to go to friends house they have to ask. Iguess it depends on where you live and you neighborhood.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We spend a ton of time outside playing in the yard! My 6 year old and almost4 year old are aloud to play in the backyard without me. It is fenced with a lock and I am right inside the door.

Kids need to play outside! It's way better than having them sit in front of the TV or playing video games!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son will be 8yrs old and plays outside by himself all the time. He always checks in with me and I check on him from time to time. We live in a small and quiet neighborhood with a safe backyard.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010