Have You seen this?

Michigan Woman Faces Civil Rights Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/22/civil-rights-complaint-filed-christian-roommate-advertisement/ (can someone make this clickable ... it doesn't seem to want to work for me)

She posted at her church for a Christian roommate and someone got offended that she specified a Christian roommate and turned her in to the Fair Housing Authority and they are pursuing the case!!

It's HER home and she has the right to decide who lives WITH her. She can be discriminating about who the hell she shares her home with!!

Thoughts?

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 6:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'll be damned, something we all agree on. This is stupid. Now we don't even get to choose who we want to live with?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• m-avi, housing rules don't apply to INDIVIDUALS living in their own home. If she were a landlord or mgt company, then they would have a case against her.. She is an individual... Different when it is a single person looking for a roommate that a company/landlord scenario..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Once again "zero tolerance" when it comes to the law, and no common sense in interpreting it!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I live in michigan and think that it is ridiculous! If she owns the house, she should be able to decide who she wants as a roommate. This could turn into a moral or ethical discussion because she specified, but I dont see anything wrong with it. She has the right to determine who lives inher house and by specifying what type of roommate, it cuts down on the number of unqualified roomates applying.

Sometimes people in general and the government need to mind their own business!
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 6:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i agree with you. thats stupid that shes getting in trouble for it. at my school theres always postings for FEMALE roommates. and "no children please" stuff like that. oh my goddd that's stupid. besides she posted it at her CHURCH

some people just don't have enough to do
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• This is just more of the "politically correct" hysteria that feeds the paranoia in our society today. I certainly hope she has talked with the ACLJ, and Jay Sekulow and his people. Sounds like she's gonna need them. Reminds me of a case a few years ago I read about. A waitress at a national chain restraunt had on a cross necklace,and some Atheist said it violated his Constitutional right to NOT believe in God. When she refused to remove it (after all,it's not like she was walking around, trying to exorcise anyone's evil spirit), she was fired. She contacted the ACLJ,and all they had to do was, of course, send a letter with the word "civil rights", and "lawsuit",and she got her job back, with back pay,and more. She promptly quit her job after that, and I dont blame her.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• "Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability)."

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• That is just crazy! And she posted it at her church but someone there complained? What the heck? Or did someone outside of the church complain? Either way, it is HER choice.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/22/civil-rights-complaint-filed-christian-roommate-advertisement/?cmpid=prn_baynote-js_Michigan_Woman_Faces_Civil_Rights_Complaint_for_Seeking_a_Christian_Roommate

Here you go.

Since it was Fox News reporting it, I had to check to make sure that there weren't conflicting stories.  It seems that they have reported this one fairly accurately.  Even I have to admit that this seems a bit frivolous.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• In fact the only thing you can request is that as a female, you want to find another female. You cannot specify anything more than that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:32 PM on Oct. 23, 2010