No Halloween at school?

A couple of years ago I taught at a school where a 1st grader was scared of Halloween, really freaked out by anything . It was a big deal about whether or not he should stay home or the school should not have parties. He ended up staying home but it was still a big deal. If it was your kids would you make a big deal about the school canceling parties for everyone?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 6:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• HA AROUND HERE THEY CANCLED IT SO THEY WOULDN'T OFFEND ANYONE!!!!! dude seriously halloween was my FAV in elementary school we had thi shuge parade through the classrooms and parties all day omg. my mom is a sub in the district and says they dont do halloween ANYTHING now. because "some people dont celebrate it" OH BOO FRICKEN HOO STAY HOME.
    it pisses me off so bad i would love to do halloween parties at the schools for my boys when theyre in grade school but i cant now :C

its so sad. halloween parties are the greatest when youre little.

but no i would NOT make a big deal. they dont do anything worth while in the classroom that day anyway. i would just take my kid to do something together and let the other kids have the greatest day everrrr
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Our schools have parties they just don't have the traditional partiues anymore because of all the religions and kids being scared and stuff so they just will have treats and punch
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My daughter's school did a halloween costume parade and parties for years and then a new principal took over and banned halloween. I know there was one family that didn't celebrate halloween for religious reasons and I heard that is why she banned it. While I feel we should be respectful of everyones religious beliefs it seems a shame to make all the other children pay.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I can't imagine my kids being afraid of Halloween, that would make me wonder what this poor kid was being told about this stuff in general.

Anyways, if it were my kid, I would simply pull them from class rather than punish everyone because of irrational fears of my child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Our school has never had a halloween party, and we're all perfectly fine with it. They do special stuff for other holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, as well as some of the smaller ones), but no full-out parties. School is for school, not partying every week. I think it's silly that schools/parents/kids think there have to be parties for all sorts of things.
    Anonymous

• Our school offers ahead of time an alternative means of not participating in the Halloween/Fall festivities...
    They also make sure that at Christmas time that it is not focused only on one religion over another...
    I know it bothers many in this small town (we are about 96% Christians, I am not) that our school system
    is as open minded than some...
    I would NOT expect a school to cancel all of their festivities bc my child may have fears of Halloween... that would be
    and is unfair to all of the other children...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• At my kids school they have some activiies, but not where kids dress up during school, till grade 4 I think it is. The youger kids seem to ruin their costumes and then the parents get all mad- is what I've been told. They do however, have a halloween dance after school at night close to halloween, where everyone can dress up. They have a DJ and decorations, and prizes, its realy fun!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No way, absolutely not. Just because one child is freaked out by something does not mean that the other students should be punished for it by not being able to have fun.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Why not just have a "Harvest Party" and leave the Halloween out of it. My boys' school does not have any type of Christmas party( or any type of party with a religious theme) at their school and some parents felt that I should just remove my children out of school that day, why should I have to rearrange my work schedule so their kids can wear Halloween costumes to school? They can wear them when they get home. Just have a regular harvest party with no Halloween theme. Just my opinion.
    Poisonette

Answer by Poisonette at 9:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010